5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VB6 (Registration tool)

Have been using ActiveLock: a freeware VB-code that allows a registration for VB-code that is sort of fixed to the system it is registered to (like the infamous MS product activation).

It generates a code that the user should send to the owner. This owner then enters the code in a little program (together with a password) to generate an unlock key that can be sent back to the user.

Regretfully, I'm having problems in WinXP with this version of ActiveLock (an old one... 1.5 I think... newer ones seem different and/or do not include the little program to generate unlock keys). Therefore I'm looking for alternatives... any suggestions?

Note: the protection wouldn't have to be extremely super-de-luxe, as long as the unlock key works for one system only and other systems would require different keys.

EJ

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VB6 (Registration tool)

I started a similar thread a while ago.

See http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthread...ords=Protection plus&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=10&Old=allposts& Main=209532.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip... I checked but noticed not much really came out at that time, did it?

All I noticed was one or two of the more 'official', not-freeware, "unlock-over-the-Internet", complex systems....

Again, I'd be looking for something fairly simple... Maybe someone out there has some code that "sort-of identifies/retrieves/calculates" some info that would be unique to a system (or even user for all I care)... I can then use that to create a scrambled key or so myself... Just had hoped some others would have done that earlier once...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I posted the question in a number of forums, judging by the responses:

1. Most, if not all, such schemes have been broken by crackers, nothing is absolutely secure. THere's a community out there that does nothing but crack code, largely for illicit reasons, others for the intellectual challenge.
    2. If you want serious protection, you need a commercial, not a free, product.
    3. Few folkes are willing to talk about the products as that tends to reveal what they are using and they do not want others to know.
    4. You want a product with at least the functionality of call backs from your software.

Take a look ast the products listed in the thread I posted.

I was investigating this for a Client, but the Client has yet to decide what to do.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand... my goal however is much less extensive: I'm targeting internal use (no hackers), all I want is to avoid the tool spreading to places (inside) where I don't want them to go.... so basically all I need is something relatively simple and easy to 'bind' them to an individual system. If I can do that purely in VB-code that would be fine (and might make things even simpler!); in the past (the DOS era) I once did a BIOS scan and created a signature from that I believe...

EJ

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You can roll your own with some clever VB programming.

Do the code in VB 6 and create a DLL that is used in Office.
    The compiled DLL will protect the code from prying eyes.
    Will not be totally secure, but might work for your purposes.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I might take a shot at this myself... the SID seems to be pretty much unique to a system (although than it should be an NT or XP system I guess). If I could read this value and scramble that a bit into a registration key it might just do the job... any thoughts?