New Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible text (Word 2003 11.6113.5703)

I want to plug my computer into a projector to project a Word document, and also print handouts of the document, but in a peculiar way. I want some of the information on each page NOT to be included in the printed handout, so students will have to take notes instead of just reading what I wrote. I want to be able to print out a copy for myself with all parts of the page, and I want to be able, when I'm projecting a page, to hide or reveal the invisible information.

I tried making some of the text hidden, but when I print the document without hidden text, it does not leave white space where the hidden text was, so there's no room for notes. Also, when I reveal the hidden text, it's ugly projected on the screen because of all the revealed paragraph marks etc.

I put the hidden text in a text box. Its size doesn't change when I hide text, so I get the white space, but I have to keep adjusting its size as I add or remove stuff in the box, and more importantly I get the formatting characters when I project it.

I thought about trying some kind of font that I could set to transparant or something, but I also want to hide inserted objects like equations and visio diagrams.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible text (Word 2003 11.6113.5703)

To avoid displaying the paragraph marks you can use Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text (this is a check box that you can check or clear).

StuartR

Edited by StuartR to remove incorrect suggestions about text boxes Maybe you could put the hidden text in a table cell which has its height set to "At Least" a reasonable size for the blank space

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Stuart. I didn't know about Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text; I thought you had to use Ctrl * . I'll try recording a couple of macros to display and hide text so I'll have toolbar buttons for display and hide. I think I'll try another macro to insert a one-cell table or a text box, select its contents and set them to hidden. I'll have to fool around to see which would be better, a table or a text box--eg, I can insert a drawing canvas into a table cell but not into a text box, but a text box may have other advantages.

Anyhow, you got me unstuck. Thanks again for your help.

Elbert

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 13-Mar-04 16:52. I realize this doesn't address the equations, etc. That would have to be handled in a more complicated manner to preserve the vertical space they require.)</P>To print the text without it showing (!), perhaps define a style called My Hidden Text with a font color of white. You then can redefine the font color when you want it to be visible. In fact, you could write a macro to toggle the color between, say, white and blue. In fact, here is such a macro:

Sub ToggleFontColor()
    With ActiveDocument.Styles("My Hidden Text")
    If .Font.Color = wdColorBlue Then
    .Font.Color = wdColorWhite
    ElseIf .Font.Color = wdColorWhite Then
    .Font.Color = wdColorBlue
    End If
    End With
    End Sub

Naturally, you should conform the macro to your actual style name. Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clever idea. Works great for text, but when I tried it, I couldn't get equations etc. to turn white. I tried defining "My Hidden Text" first as a font style then as a paragraph style, but neither worked on equations.

Thanks again.

Elbert

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you're going to be using a Macro anyway. How about putting a text box, or a rectangle, in front of each of these objects and formatting it to have no fill or a white fill to display / not display the object.

If you insert these rectangles from VBA then you can give them names that you can later use to find them again.

StuartR