2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Report Tips/Hints (2000/2002)

Earlier, I posted a question to this forum re relationships & query joins in preparation for a end-user session I'm conducting this month. The other question they want to know about is simply, "What are some of the hints that make report creation easier and less error prone?" Guess another way of putting this is, what are one or two things that you've learned over time that have made your life much easier as a report generator?

I'd really like to just give them the nuts and bolts of reports, but know just a few special tips will be well worth our time together.!
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report Tips/Hints (2000/2002)

One thing many users don't realize about reports is that the sort order of the data source is irrelevant. If you base the report on a query, don't bother to specify a sort order in the query, because it will be ignored by the report. In fact, it is better to omit it. All sorting must be done either in the Sorting and Grouping window of the report design, or in VBA by specifiying OrderBy and OrderByOn. Not both, for the sort order specified in the Sorting and Grouping window will overrule that set in VBA.

If the report is going to be printed on different printers, make the margins (top, left, bottom, right) large enough to work with all printers. For example, inkjet printers often need a relatively large bottom margin, something like 0.5". If you design for a laser printer, which can usually print to 0.15" of the bottom, you'll put too much on the page.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

My tip would me to encourage them to make reports as generic as possible. That is, don't create variations of the same report that have different selection criteria. Instead, the report should be "selection-free" (or as much as possible), then use a frontend form to prompt for criteria, then pass the parameters via the OpenReport method.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Mark's excellent tip: you can refer to the parameters entered by the user. Say that you have a form frmSelect with text boxes txtStartDate and txtEndDate. The WhereCondition argument of DoCmd.OpenReport restricts the records to those with a date field between the start and end dates:

DoCmd.OpenReport ReportName:="rptOrders", View:=acViewPreview, _
    WhereCondition:="OrderDate Between #" & Me.txtStartDate & "# And #" & Me.txtEndDate & "#"

In the report header section, you can refer to the start and end date, in a text box with Control Source

="Orders Entered Between " & [Forms]![frmSelect]![txtStartDate] & " And " & [Forms]![frmSelect]![txtEndDate]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would also add, if these are fairly new to design to have them use the wizard to get started and then get into design view. A lot of time is wasted lining up controls when the wizard can do that quickly.
    Deb