New Lounger
    Thanks

Mailmerge - sort field contents and convert text (2000 and 2002)

Hi,

I'm creating a mail merge that uses a .dbf file and its associated .dbt file as its data source.

I need to accomplish two things:

1. The text inside one of the merge fields needs to be sorted
    2. Another field contains encoded text that I need to decode. I know the algorithm and can create a VBScript, but I don't know how to place it in the merge document.

Thanks in advance of any help.

Jim

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Mailmerge - sort field contents and convert text (2000 and 2002)

My advice would be to take the data to either Excel or to a Word table - Excel would be preferrable as you can easily write formulae to decode the data. By sorting, I assume you mean the data records should be sorted on the specified text field, and you can do that in Excel or in Word. It is probably possible to get an ODBC driver for the dbf/dbt files and use the native files as a data source for the merge, but it would require lots of tinkering compared to importing the data into Excel.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,

Thanks for the response.

The sort actually has to occur on text inside a field. Maybe it would help if I explain. There are two main columns of importance in the DBF. One contains an encrypted username, and the other column contains a list of keywords associated to that user. The keywords are unsorted within the field, separated by embedded carriage returns. So, the sort isn't on the column itself - had that been the case, I could have used an "Order By" clause in a SQL Select. To look at some sample data in CSV format, it would be as follows:

"FGTE","RED

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This table structure is difficult to work with. A decent structure would consist of a separate record for each user/keyword combination. I would convert the data into Access. If possible, do it once and for all, otherwise, perform the conversion on the fly. This can be done using VBA with DAO or ADO, by looping through a recordset based on the table, and within each record looping through the lines of the keyword field.
    To present the data, you would create a multi-column report grouped by user name, or a main report displaying the user names, with a multi-column subreport displaying the keywords (that would have to be across-then-down, however, snaking columns in subreports don't work.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Unfortunately, I cannot change the source of the data. It is created and maintained in a third-party application.

Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, I would link the data in an Access database, and create a temporary table using code, each time you need the report.