2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using *.PST files on multiple computers (2000)

I use two desk tops and a lap top. I want to transfer my *.pst file from one to the other then close the one that was there at the start. So far I copy the *.pst file from one computer to another then I use File/Open Personal folders to Open it in Outllook. Then I right click on the new file go to properties and select "Deliver Pop mail to the personal folders file" . I am told that I must close outlook and reopen before this change will come into affect. When I do so the change has not occurred and the check in the box I referred to has gone. I have tried to un check the same box in the active personal folders file but it is grayed out. I am sure I have done this before but I seem to be missing something now, can anyone help please.

Peter

Peter

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using *.PST files on multiple computers (2000)

My instinct in such situations is to have no PST on the laptop - other than the one that is swapped in from the desktop: less possibility for confusion. HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

or close outlook and rename the copied pst the same as the old one and overwrite the old one.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion but I cannot open Outlook without a PST file being present or creating a new one so I dont see how your idea would work. Article 278940 tells you how to change the delivery point but I just cannot do that as I explained in my first post the option is grayed out on the file already there and it will not let me set the new PST file as the mail delivery point.

Peter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion I have tried to copy the exisiting file to another location (in case I need some data from it) and it will not let me telling me the file is locked by some thing else. I have tried renaming it with the same result.

Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can open Outlook up without a PST if you have enabled an Offline Folder (*.OST). In 2000 the menus for this vary with whether you are in IMO or CW mode; check the Help on setting up an OST.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have now tried copyting the file over the exisiting one and it will not let me do that it says it is locked, and of course I do not have Outlook open so I do not know what is locking it.

Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

A number of things can keep Outlook running as a process after you have ostensibly closed it. Use Task Manager to see what is running and close Outlook from TM.
    UTC -7DS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can close Outlook from "Applications" and that does leave something running under "Process" and I am warned about closing it from there, is it OK to do so.
    thanks

Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it should not cause problems.

BTW, Peter, any kind of Outlook window which remains open, such as a message, or calendar, or anything else Outlookian, in a separate window, will hold Outlook open as a process, even if Outlook's main window appears to close. Also, certain PDA sync software and other 'hooks' into OL can be culprits.
    UTC -7DS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John

I did that and was able to overwirte the file. This seems to be a very clumsy way of doing it. It is obvious that one is supposed to be able to select which Personal folder should be your email recipient yet I cannot do that as a) When I select a new Persoanl folder and then close Outlook and reopen it the new folder is not selected and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] I cannot deselect the original folder as it is grayed out. When I check help it tells you to do what I have just described but in my case does not work. Have you any thoughts.

By the way I removed the HotSync manager and Pocket Mirror for my palm in case that was the problem but it did not help.

thanks again, at least I have a work around.

Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Peter, yes, it is clumsy, but PST's weren't intended for what you want to do. As suggested earlier, look into using OSTs (Offline Storage Folders).
    UTC -7DS