Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need tutorial on publishing to Web (Access 2003)

I need to learn how to publish an Access database to the Web. I have never done this before. Can someone point me to a good tutorial Web site (preferable) or book that goes through the basics of this.

Please forgive me if this has been asked on this forum before, and many thanks in advance.

Don.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Need tutorial on publishing to Web (Access 2003)

One of the challenges is that there are several ways to do what you suggest, and the process is rather different for each. Do you need to be able to update information in the database from a web page, or will it simply be a display of data that exists in the database? Editing via the web is a good deal more complicated.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I actually have 2 tasks to accomplish. One is just a display of data, with the user able to check a box and copy the checked items to a file. The other is a form that the user fills out and then the data is added to a database.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually both of your tasks involve some dynamic interchange with data, so I can suggest three choices (there are probably others such as Cold Fusion):<UL><LI>Use FrontPage to build your web pages - there are a number of books and web info is plentiful - see our FrontPage forum for example<LI>Create Access Data Access Pages - this introductory topic might be enough to get you started - then I would look at the Access Developer's Handbook<LI>Use ASP or ASP.net to create dynamic pages - the Web Matrix Project is one of the less painful ways to get started.[/list]However each of these have a fairly significant learning curve that has to be navigated, and unfortunately learning one doesn't help much with the other. If I were doing it I would probably choose the ASP.net approach, as it works with most browsers, while the others are likely to require IE or some form of Office on the workstation. Good luck.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I believe that Publisher 2003 also has the option of building web pages and is supposed to be better at it than FrontPage.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,

Here's hoping you or someone can point me in the right direction. I've built a web in Frontpage mainly using wizards and templates as I'm new to coding in HTML. The data collected from the pages is stored in Access Databases. My next step is to figure out how to actually get the data. I looked at Web Matrix but it looks like I would use that to build the web. Since the web is already built and the databases are stored on the website, what is the best and easiest way for me to proceed in trying to get the data. I've been doing a search and reading many posts on the this forum, but am still lost.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Need tutorial on publishing to Web (Access 200

The easiest way to "get the data" is just to ftp the file from the web server to your computer. But this just gives you a copy of the data as it was at a moment in time. Is that what you want? It also means that all changes to the data take place via the web.

If not, you need to explain how you want to use the data.
    Regards
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Presently I am using ftp to get the files and the corresponding data. The problem is that I want the owner of the website to be able to get the data without me! I stupidly thought that I'd be able to set up Frontpage so they could view the data and then run reports etc. that I build for them in Access. The goal was to make them independent of me.

Big Sigh,
    Leesha

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Can you just teach the owner of the website to get the mdfb file using ftp?

You could build an Access 'front end' that uses the mdf file from the website as the back end, and you periodically update this back end with the latest copy from the Website. But this assumes that all data entry takes place via the website. So what does the owner want to do with the data?
    Regards
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OMG, that would be more time consuming than me getting the data! Besides, I must be missing the boat. I "thought" that there was a way for the person on the website to enter data and person owner of the site to get the data in an easier fashion than FTP. If I'm mistaken, then I'll stop the search now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I know nothing about Frontpage, but I don't know of any easy way. I just ftp the file when I do this sort of thing.

Maybe somewhere else will give you the easy solution you are looking for!
    Regards
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not an expert in either of these but have you already considered using Data Access Pages?
    The Internet Transfer Control ActiveX?
    The TransferDatabase method of the DoCmd object?
    The Database Results Wizard in FrontPage?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!

I haven't used the Data Access Pages to date mainly because I'm not sure as to how they will benefit me with my present web issue. That's a whole new area to me.

I have been successfully used the Database Results wizard to generate tables on the site that the owner can now access to view the data and can export to excel. I was hesitant to do that without some type of method of password protecting the page so only the owner or their staff can see it. I've solved that issue so presently that is how they are obtaining the information.

RE the transfer database method of the DoCmd - would I be able to put a button on the webpage that allows that? So far all the info I've gotten seems to point to the fact that the only way to manipulate the databases that are on the web is to ftp in and copy them to my computer and then either use them as back end tables for a Access Database that will have all the forms, reports etc. That is what I had been doing but it makes the owner dependent on me to provide them with up to data data from the web, and my goal is to make them as independent as possible and only need me for website changes and Access issues/development. The does not seem to be an easy way to link an Access database on their machine to the tables on the web. Nievely that is what I thought I'd be able to do.

As for internet transfer control ActiveX - never knew it exisited or what it does.

Leesha

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Using the Internet Transfer Control
    You can create DAP's using wizards but I think you should also read Access documentation about them, I have a few book references if you need them but I suppose any good Access book delves into them.