Star Lounger
    Thanks

adding numbers (Office XP)

Hi,

Is there an easy way to add a set of numbers to data with a field? I have a field called TN that contains an auto id (primary key) - I need for processing reasons to add "999" to the left of the number and then send the data off for processing. On return, I need to strip the "999" off the record.

Is there an easy way to do this, I have been playing with update queries - i have done this using concatenate in excel which works Ok but adds an extra step to the process.

Thanks....Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adding numbers (Office XP)

You can't modify an AutoNumber field in any way. Instead, create a query based on the table, and add an extra calculated column that prepends "999" to TN. For example, if you want 9 digit "numbers":

NewTN: "999" & Format([TN],"000000")

If you really need to modify the TN field itself, you must change its type from AutoNumber to Number (Long Integer) or to Text. You can then perform an update query. But you will lose the automatic assignment of a value for new records.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

As Hans said, you can't modify an autonumber. Even if this wasn't an autonumber, I'm somewhat troubled by what you said. That is, "... to add "999" to the left of the number and then send the data off for processing. On return, I need to strip the "999" off the record."

What do you mean by "send it off for processing". And if this table has records in child tables, modifying the PK should cascade down to these records. This just doesn't seem like a good practice. If necessary, create a temp table and use a query to fill it, adding the prefix at that time.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, that will work nicely - Mark is exactly right in what he says, that is what I currently do adding and deleting the prefix manually. I need to do this as some records need to be sent away again for processsing and the payment server (I am processing credit card numbers) rejects the record ID if it has been previously sent - even if the record was rejected for some reason - usually incorrectly keyed card number. Thanks again for your help.

Regards....Peter