Thread: TV Out

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TV Out

Ok, now I have installed several Video cards with TV out but until last night I never tried that part out. Guess what, it did not work!!
    I connected the S-Video from the PC to the TV, (They are all Nvidia based cards) When I went into the display options and Nvidia drivers, The TV was seen but I never got anything to come up on the TV. I tried several channels. The documentation on all of the cards does not tell how to do this.
    Fun Fun Fun!!!

Thanks

Re: TV Out

Kent,
    Not all TV's are equipped with S-Video inputs, particularly the "older" sets"
    -----------------------------------------------------
    To use S-Video, the device sending the signals must support S-Video output and the device receiving the signals must have an S-Video input jack. Then you need a special S-Video cable to connect the two devices.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you will need an adapter to convert the S-video signals to "composite video" that most sets use.
    Check out places like SVIDEO for cables and adapters.

It's surprising that the video card manufacturer didn't supply a "blurb" on how to do the connection. Unless your card was an OEM?
    Did you check out their websites?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All of the cards came with either S-Video to S-Video or Composite to S-Video cables. I used the cable that came with that specific card and I did use the S-Video on my TV. I am presuming it is an "in" and not a S-Video "out" (on the TV)I will double check. I have not gone to the web sites, actually I was doing that when I checked back here.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You said you tried various channels (I assume you're talking about those on the TV).

Have you tried the AUX or LINE-IN or VCR or "whatever" your TV may have?

As a related note, I have to disconnect my VCR from the TV as the signal on the composite cables override the signal on the S-Video cable.
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have "Air/Cable" and "Line 1" and "Line 2" none of these did anything.

Thanks

Is it only a problem with "TV" and possibly tuning? Can you play a DVD successfully over the S-video connector?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This probably has nothing to do with your problem Kent, but recently I faced the situation of hooking up the VCR, the DVD player, the satellite dish, and the Playstation 2 to the TV, while getting the DVD player to play through the stereo system. I bought an auto switching RF Modulator at a local store, and WOW, it's one of the better things I've done. The TV stays on 00 (the video input) and the modulator automatically senses which device the signal is coming from in a predetermined order from input 1 to input 4. Another great thing is you don't have to switch the TV to channel 00 to play the Playstation, and/or back to channel 03/04 to watch the VCR, and by using the RCA connections you get pretty decent video from the DVD player.

I think it was something like $35 USA, although they are probably available for less, and you will need some RCA style cables. (I think the one I have also has an S-video, although the directions state that if one device uses S-video, all the devices must use it---hey!, maybe this is the problem with your setup?)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did not place a DVD in the computer and try to play it. The DVD connected to the TV works fine as does the VCR.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll take a look at Radio Shack for such a device. It sounds like a good idea at the least.