New Lounger
    Thanks

can't post to pcmag forum (Mozilla firebird)

I suddenly became unable to post to pcmag forum although I can access it and read the contents. I contacted them and they told me to clear my cache and cookies. That didn't help. When I click on the submit button to sign in, nothing happens, I noticed that it does not set new cookies even though it is set to enable cookies. I also have IE6, and when I open it, it does set 2 cookies. I have never been able to post using IE6 which is why I went to Mozilla. Even with the cookies set by IE6 not removed, I still cannot post. I'm not sure the problem is related to cookies, but it is the only thing I can think of. Incidentally, if I decide to go for Firefox, should I download to the same location as Firebird? Any caveats? Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: can't post to pcmag forum (Mozilla firebird)

I don't know what your OS is, but see <post#=137653>post 137653</post#> & <post#=271328>post 271328</post#> for some suggestions on what & how to delete. You can also download a batch file for Win98 (there's one for XP) also that I recommended in one of those posts. However, the link has changed to http://www.langa.com/cleanup_bat.htm.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had basically done all that using a program called Free History Cleaner, but I did it all again following the instructions and it still did not solve the problem. The difficulty only exists using Mozilla to sign in to the PC Mag forum. I am using XP ProSP1. Any other ideas? Would removal and reinstall of Mozilla perhaps be the answer?
    Forgot to mention my Index.Dat file is only 32 KB. Can't be too much hiding there.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't been using Mozilla lately, so I've forgotten much about it. Take a look at your cookies.txt file in your Mozilla profile. Is it read-only? Perhaps it's corrupt. You could rename it (with Mozilla closed) & then try to sign in. If that worked, you could look at the new cookies.txt that was created & see what it put there. Then compare it with the old one. Perhaps you could modify the original (even though it's a generated file). I'd make a backup, just in case. If worse came to worse, you could delete the entire cookie file & let Mozilla rebuild it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<font color=red> if I decide to go for Firefox, should I download to the same location as Firebird? Any caveats?</font color=red>
    There are some fairly good install instructions provided online by the Mozilla Firefox folks. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

so far, nothing has worked. I tried two new browsers, and when I tried to sign in I got the following:
    Internet explorer script editor.
    Line: 2
    Char: 1
    Error: Syntax error
    Code: 0
    URL: http://www.pcmag.com/?login=1&r=0
    This is something I don't understand. Can you explain it? Also, iwhy the reference to IE? Both browswers I tried specifically said they were independant of IE.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what's going on. However, since you also have the same trouble with IE & different browsers, it sounds like something else going on. I would still boot to a DOS prompt & delete Index.dat. Use the following line:

deltree /y %winbootdir%cookiesindex.dat

I would think that deleting your cookies & starting over would have helped. Whoops! You said you have Win XP; I don't know if the above will work for you. Of course, despite what PCMag has said, there still could be something on their site.

I wonder if in the process of "cleaning" everything, something was changed in the registry. I know that in Win 98, you can rebuild it, but I don't know how in XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried running that delete command and was told that "deltree is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"

Thanks

What were these supposedly independent browsers?

It's very possible that any time you run scripts in other browsers, they use the script interpreters supplied by Microsoft. The "Internet Explorer" error message might really be a "script interpreter" error message with a misleading title bar.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't remember the names now. However, they did not require that IE be loaded on the machine, and that they were Mozilla compatible.

Assuming thaa this is a script error, do you know how it can be corrected?

Thanks

Well, in most cases, the error was made by the page's author and you can't fix it. You could send in webmaster feedback about it. Make sure to mention the browser because different browsers could get different scripts.

When I load that URL in IE, the scripts start way after line 2, so I have no idea what the problem might be in the version of the page you loaded. (The fact that I don't have a login also could affect what I'm seeing.)

Thanks

Separate question: do you run any privacy or internet security software? Some packages block cookies, even if your browser is set to trust that site and eat all the cookies it feeds you. We had a thread on Norton, and discovered that it does have a setting for trusted sites that you can use to allow cookie values to be sent to and from the site. (The menus are different in every version, so the details are where to find that are beyond me.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what did it, but I'm back in service. What I did was to download an old version of Mozilla before it was called Firebird, and amazingly I was able to post using it. I upgrades to Firefox following instructions. I kept switching back and forth matching all settings one at a time, but that didn't help. The last thing I did which seemed to make it work was to re-enter my proxy details. Not new details, the same ones freshly typed in. Voila. Why that helped, I don't know. My only remaining problem is that tabs in Firefox don't work. The only tab it shows is for the page that is active. At any rate, many thanks for your interest.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<font color=red>tabs in Firefox don't work</font color=red>Try loading TabBrowser Extensions at the Mozilla Firefox support site. There is a dedicated page there for Extensions. HTH
    Gre