New Lounger
    Thanks

Audio Gone (XP Home OEM installation)

My audio disappeared after using live365. I started live 365 while listening to audio on Windows Media Player. One played on top of the other. I turned off WMP and listened to live365 for a while and found I couldn't turned it off. There were some anomonalies: the screen was X'd and I couldn't find an icon on the taskbar or anything on the desktop. So no way to turn it off.

I finally got it off, and I don't remember how I did it. Now there is no audio at all.

How do I get it back?
    I have no installation disk, just the OEM disk that came with the computer, which is nothing.
    Best

Steve

Thanks

Re: Audio Gone (XP Home OEM installation)

What is it that you want to get back ? If it is the Windows Media Player, it is downloadable from Microsoft. If the Live 365 player has caused a conflict on your system, probably the first thing to do is uninstall it before downloading and installing WMP.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I uninstalled WinAmp 2 versions, Live365 and tried to uninstall a Window Media Player Hotfix of 17.5 Mb, but it warned me not to so I didn't. Then reloaded Windows Media Player 9 onto computer.

No audio, but the control panel audio section says it can't open SndVol32.exe and I should use the add/remove to install it???

Since I have an OEM version, I have no XP Disk except the supplementary software program disk for other pieces of software like MSN, AOL, etc.

What suggestions now? ( For some reason WMP does not show up on the add/remove list)

Thanks

Windows Media Player can be uninstalled from Control Panel/ Add or Remove Programs/ Add Remove Windows Components. Then you can download and reinstall from here .
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have reinstalled the Windows Media Player, I still have this hotfix of 17.5 mb on the add/remove panel, (maybe this is the WMP itself?), WMP is not on the add/remove panel.

The WAVE window in the Sounds and Audio panel says it is missing SndVol32.exe and asks me to install it in the add/remove panel.

Ideas?

Steve

Thanks

As I said previously, WMP is NOT in the main Add/Remove panel. It is in the Add/Remove Windows Components part of the panel (icon on left side). But perhaps this is not the main problem. You say that "SndVol32.exe is missing. Go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and search for Article 319095. Here it explains what this file is and how and where to restore it. Since you do not have an XP CD, the Windows installation files are PROBABLY in a hidden partition or hidden folder on your hard drive.

Try Start>Run, type in "sfc /scannow" ( no quotes) and OK. This will scan your system for corrupt or missing XP files and replace them with the proper ones. If the Windows installation files are hidden somewhere on your drive, this will work. If not, you will get a message asking for the Windows CD. In this case, get this file from someone else who is running Windows XP (it is a very small - 136K - file) and copy it to the Windows/System32 folder.
    John