2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form Field (2000)

I am setting up a form where each line has to have specific text and line numbers at the beginning of the line and after this default text, there can only be up to 78 characters of text in the form field. Is it possible to have the field automatically break at a word and move to the next field when the maximum is reached? I suppose I could do it with a macro on entry that waits until the 78 character limit is reached and takes the last word and move it to the next field. However, that will take me a while to figure out the programming for that without some direction.

If after reviewing the sample anyone has any better suggestions, let me know!

FYI, this is for a quick and dirty HL7 interface...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form Field (2000)

Have a look at the thread starting with <post#=320292>post 320292</post#>.

Alan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Alan. I'm really most interested in whether I can have the field automatically move to the next field when the character limit is reached. I had no problem setting it for 78 characters.

Thanks

I don't know if any way to monitor keystrokes inside a FormField. (There is an application event named something like WindowSelectionChange, but it isn't super reliable.) If you don't want to use a UserForm, I think the easiest way would be to create a big multiline textbox (formatted as hidden so it doesn't print), have the user type everything in there, and then use an Exit macro on that field to lay it out in your other FormFields.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By the time you've done all this VBA coding, you might as well design a proper VBA form and manage the user input yourself. This would give you full control over the data entry and you could transfer the text to the Word document when the user clicks an OK button.

StuartR