Thread: Attachment size

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attachment size

Would the Lounge administrators please reconsider the permissible attachment size? In the Access forum, it is sometimes impossible to get a file to under 100Kb and still adequately present the problem or solution; even zipped. How about 1 Mb as a max file size?

Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attachment size

There are some things you can do to reduce the size of a zipped Access file. Here is my stock recipe:
    <UL><LI>Make a copy of the database and work with that.
    <LI>Remove all database objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules) that are not relevant to the problem.
    <LI>In the remaining table(s), remove most records - leave only the minimum number necessary to demonstrate the problem.
    <LI>Remove or modify data of a confidential nature.
    <LI>Do a compact and repair (Tools/Database Utilities).
    <LI>Make a zip file containing the database; it should be below 100KB.
    <LI>If you have difficulties getting the zip file below 100 KB, save the database in Access 97 format and then zip it. (Of course, this only helps if you're using Access 2000 or later.)[/list]If that doesn't work, create a new database and import only import the relevant object into it, then repeat the steps above.

I have never yet seen a problem for which this recipe didn't work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the ideas Hans. In fact, I have kept a copy of your recipe from previous needs to post. I have removed all records, have only tables required with all fields removed except those needed. Even when I converted 97 & zipped, I am still at 139 Kb.

There is one thing I could do but don't know how. I have a tab control with all pages deleted except the one containing the fields. There is no sub form, just fields on a tab control. I tried to move those controls off the tab control onto the regular form but I cannot - as I drag them, the size of the tab control increases. If I copy/paste them it changes all the control names such that my code no longer works. I suspect the tab control takes a lot of space.. maybe I am wrong.

is there a way to remove the tab control without affecting the controls on the tab page? In other words, a way to move them off the tab page then delete the tab control?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think a tab control takes up a lot of space, but try cut and paste instead of copy and paste.

If the zip file is still above 100 KB there must be superfluous elements in the database.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Guess I will start over. Nothing superfluous except maybe too many examples of the same thing. In trying to remove them, I find myself in a position of where nothing works now so I will start again.

The email offer still stands although I would like to be able to post an example since I have received so much help form the lounge.

Thanks

Lounge resources do not permit!! You should be able to get some web space for little or no cost to post jumbo-sized files. (For example, my dial-up ISP includes 60MB web space, in chunks of 10MB per screen name.) You then could provide a link to your site.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What timing! I did exactly that this morning and will post the file and a link soon as it is set up. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

Thanks.