3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6 multiple windows on start (Win xp pro sp1)

Got a client that reports IE opens multiple windows or instances of the browser upon start of IE. I had a tech run Adaware from Lavasoft to see if there was some BHO or other hijack type of junk but it came up clean.

Has anyone encountered a scenario similar to this and found a smoking gun?

Thanks,

Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Thanks

Re: IE 6 multiple windows on start (Win xp pro sp1)

There was a recent thread that listed some additional tools (here, or on the General Windows/Windows XP/Software Finds & Wants boards). Apparently not all of the home page hijackers are detected by the spyware search products.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jester:
    Here's a <!post=starpost,296439>starpost<!/post> that lists some additional tools.
    Hope this helps,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.
    Been there, done that.

Today we learned more details of this bizarre incident. Our mainframe client from Attachmate was being launched and the client would log in and then the browser windows would open. The browser (IE6) was not the culprit.

The client had remapped his keyboard within Attachmate's Extra application and there is/was a corruption of some sorts.

Not knowing this, we realized that the problem only happened when the mainframe session was active and the client was logged in. However, we could not log in to test this out due to the keyboard "enter" key being remapped.

We repaired, then reinstalled Extra and logged in without issue. When the client returned from lunch he logged in to the network on the XP box, logged in to the mainframe and was happy. He then proceeded to remap his keyboard the way he wanted it and then a similar issue reappeared.

When he remaps the keyboard his right control key becomes the "enter" key and the "enter" key sends a "new line" command to the mainframe. However, there is an issue with the keyboard mapping for the "enter" key which pops up an error box about not finding (basically) "C:Program FilesInternet ExplorerIEXPLORE.EXE" although it is truncated with the DOS 8.3 naming convention.

We need to find out why the keyboard remapping is hosed for the one key.

So, no spyware but another issue deep in the innards of Attachmate's Extra for the mainframe. Possibly a file association error, if I'm lucky.

Thanks for going down this path with me.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough