3 Star Lounger

Archiving Previous Years Data (Access 2000)

I'm not sure how to handle archiving previous years data. I'm billing students year after year for their student fees. I'm thinking of having a school year that you select at the start of the program that opens the year selected. I'm just unsure how to do that.

I have it set up right now for just one school year. Also, for every student you can just do one invoice. I just don't know how to access the previous years without having to physically go and open the older database that has the year you want.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to be able to look at a student, see this years invoice/payments, but also be able to see the previous years invoices/payments if I need to. Also, I'd like to be able to adjust the previous years invoices if I need to because sometimes schools charge a caution fee which should not be charged to a student at the end of the year if he still hasn't paid.

I hope you can make sense of this. I just don't know where to start on archiving these. Because there still might be an occasional student that comes in to pay fees from a previous school year.

Super Moderator
    Mt Macedon, Victoria, Australia

Re: Archiving Previous Years Data (Access 2000)

There is no need to archive previous years data unless the amount of data is so large that things become really slow.

The problem then become one of getting the right structure so that you can keep multiple invoices for each student.

You probably want a students table and an invoices table, with each invoice having a studentID field as a foreign key pointing to a record in the students table, and an invoice date that tells you what year it is for.

If students pay their fees in multiple payments then you could also need a payments table.