2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Accessing folders in Other Shortcuts in Outlook (Office 2000 or higher)

I am working with a client who uses Outlook as a starting point for all their document management. We have created a routine to save e-mail messages to folders outside Outlook.

Using the Other Shortcuts section of the Outlook bar, we can use the My Computer folder to manually locate the saved messages, or other documents, and right-click a document to set the properties, including an entry in the Categories property on the Summary tab.

We are trying to automate the process of setting this property (a) as part of the routine for saving messages and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] as a separate routine for documents selected in the folders. (Note, these categories are NOT the same as the categories that can be set for an Outlook message in the default Outlook folders.)

Can anyone tell me how we can identify (in an Outlook VBA routine) folders that are not Outlook folders (and their contents) - either via some reference to the Other Shortcuts section of the Outlook bar, or by directly referencing Windows Explorer/My Computer (in much the same way that we can reference Word, Excel etc from Outlook VBA)?

Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Accessing folders in Other Shortcuts in Outloo

Outlook Folders are defined "types" within the Outlook Object Model. Could you not simply use a Select Case statement to parse out your Other Shortcuts? HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Accessing folders in Other Shortcuts in Outlook (Office 2000 or higher

>folders outside Outlook

Do you mean File Folders (aka file directories). unkamunka may have understood your question, but I'm not clear.

All Outlook Server and PST Folders are MAPIFolders (except Search Folders).

To what kind of Item are you trying to assign a category?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's not actually Outlook folders that I'm trying to access, but the kind of folders you get in Windows Explorer (ie file directories to those of us that predate Windows 95). I had thought that they'd just be another kind of folder type, but when I look through the Help files everything seems to lead back to the default folder types that come with Outlook.

I had thought I'd read a reference somewhere in Help to folders from outside Outlook, but the lack of bookmarking capabilities (showing my pre-95 age, again) means that, not having written it down at the time, I can't find my way back to that Help screen!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I do mean file directories. I'm trying to assign categories to both messages saved in file directories that can be accessed through Windows Explorer, and documents in these directories as well. We can do it manually, both through Windows Explorer itself, and via the Other Shortcuts section of the Outlook bar.

By assigning categories in this way, Outlook can sort these external files in the Outlook window, in much the same way that it can sort messages or other Outlook items that are stored in Outlook itself. However, assigning a category to the message before saving it out to a file directory doesn't have the same effect - there seem to be two levels of category, and the Outlook-assigned category doesn't work for sorting in an Explorer-type list.

I'm really sorry to make such a meal of my explanation - I'm not sure whether this makes it any clearer to you or not!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, the Category field you are referring to is in the the built-in document properties of most files created by MS Office apps. I know how to get to those through instancing the apps which write the file types, though I have no idea how you get to it in an MS Message *.MSG file. Your question is over my head, but there are many experts here in the VBA Forum who should be able to help.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

To borrow from <!profile=JohnBF>JohnBF<!/profile>'s post, what i was trying to get at was including something like this very much outline code<pre>......... 'other code here
    Select Case
    Case objFolder.Type Is MAPIFolder 'Shortcuts to Outlook's built-in folders
    .............. 'do stuff here
    Case Else 'all other Shortcuts
    .............. 'do other stuff here
    End Select</pre>

I have not looked at seeing whether you can derive the nature of your Target from examining the properties of a shortcut within Outlook

If you are only going to be focusing on the external Shortcuts, then you could improve code performance by using an If........Then, rather than Seect Case.

HTH
    Gre