Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Can't access part of website (IE6, all fixes)

Since I got this new computer, I've been having problems with a specific online banking application, which pops up a window (pardon the terminology, but we'll revisit this!) into which one types account information, etc. Usually this works without any problems (other than the credit balance on the account!) but SOMETIMES the original webpage will load but the "pop-up" data entry window does not, failing with something like a DNS error.

Empirically, I've found when this happens the way out is to:
    a) delete the Temporary Internet Files via Tools => Internet Options => General => Temporary Internet Files + Delete Files button
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] reboot
    and then everything is restored to normal!

Though probably not relevant, I have Norton internet Security 2004 AND Google Toolbar stopping "real" pop-ups, and recently I installed DUMeter to calculate how much data was being sent up and down the wire on my broadband connection. I've recently reduced the "amount of disk space to use" for these TIFs to 20 MB (doesn't seem to have made any difference).

Please note that most of the time everything works fine and I'm not going to delete cookies if anyone suggests this!!

Bright ideas for a permanent solution? Many thanx!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Can't access part of website (IE6, all fixes)

What is your 'Check for newer versions of stored pages..' setting set to?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Leif

The simple answer is "I don't know until I get home"!

I suppose you're going to suggest "every visit to the page"? The actual "data entry" page never changes; and come to that, I always insert identical data into that particular page!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You could also try a smaller TIF (cache) size. If you end up having to delete the files (clean the cache) anyway, why not force it to be small and clean in the first place? I keep mine at 4 MB -- but why not try less and see if that helps. Certainly, removing anything new that you installed (such as the DUMeter) would be worth a gamble. Do you need to know your DL speed all the time, or isn't a brief view every so often 'good enough'?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I thought 20 MB was quite small (see OP), compared with the 500 or so MB it originally allocated by default...

Putting DUMeter on for a few weeks is simply to find out just how much data I send up and down the line. Gives you an idea of whether there would be any problems with a cap of 1 GB per month (there would -- even though I only download Microsoft Updates and don't do the kiddie "huge bandwidth" things...).

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This may be a Java Virtual Machine issue. Does your set-up include having "taken the plunge" towards Sun's Java, or are you still running with the (being phased out) MS version? HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I vaguely remember something about Sun Java being present, but it's only vague...!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have a look at Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs. There's a side panel option that should tell you for certain. Whether an upgrade to the latest Sun version (D/L 1.35Mb) is in point then may become a question. HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I'll check when I get home. Presumably it will be Utterly Trivial to check what level I'm at?!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Answers to questions:

1) IE "check for newer versions of stored pages" -- Automatically
    2) Tools menu has a "Sun Java Console" entry. And hard disk has "C:Program Files Java j2re1.4.2", which gives the game away...

Do I need to change anything?

Thanks!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

1] Try setting it to 'Every visit...' (It also means if you update your UserPic again, it should show up immediately!)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have changed the setting according to your command, but will report back only if the problem should recur...!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Small is relative. The point is that if you keep having to Delete the files ANYWAY, why not automate the process! The smaller the cache, the more often IE will automatically delete the 'stale' pages...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson

It only happened rarely, so it might be a week before it is due to go wrong again!

Their security people seem to have thought of the Att+N trick, and it gives nothing!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The basic assumption in this thread is that IE6 always works properly. The new MSKB articles posted in the last week or two state that IE6 will not always load a page, or part of a page. The MS "work-around" at this point is to hit refresh as they are looking at this problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast