Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible printing - shows in print preview (XP)

Dear Loungers,

I have now had this problem a few times, previously it has "resolved" itself which led me to believ that Word/memory had got screwed up. Has anyone else encountered this:

Document is a Woprd document with headers and footers, it contains tables and has a format of portrait, landscape, portrait (although other examples this was not true. On print preview it looks great, on print it prints selectively and not always consistently, the pages all exist but it like printed in invisible ink, although in all cases the headers and footers are printed successfully. Strangely the same thing is true if a print to PDF, the PDF file looks graet but it prints only partially and not exactly as the word file.
    I have tried copy and paste to new document in avriety of ways to no avail.

Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible printing - shows in print preview (XP)

One possible cause of this is if you have text formatted as "Hidden". Settings in Tools > Options allow you to specify whether hidden text is displayed and whether it is printed, these are two different settings.

Another possibility is if your text is in text boxes or another graphic and you have disabled Tools > Options > Print > Drawing Objects.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We have been having a similar problem. Some documents look fine on the screen, preview okay, but if you print (from preview) the bottom 2.76" are blanked out, and will no longer print. If you try to go to Page Setup to change the margins, you get a message that you are trying to print beyond the margins, do you want to Fix. If you choose fix, the bottom margin changes to 2.76." It seems like Word is changing the paper size. We have had this occur with Word 97 and XP.

There is no hidden text or text boxes.

Thanks

There have been threads on this before and I can't remember the answer. I realize this is a tough thing to describe, but could you try a few (more) searches and see if any relevant threads turn up?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do a "Select All" and then Format, Paragraph and change ALL margins to what they should be. All you need is one paragraph with blown margin(s) to get this problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not positive, but I have a vague recollection that this might ocurr if you have Tools/Options/Print tab/Allow A/4 Letter paper resizing. That option should be off.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil.

I do recall that the Allow A/4 Letter was checked. Isn't that one of MS defaults? Why would it cause problems only some of the time?

New Lounger
    Thanks

We also have been having this problem--not on a consistent basis--just whenever it feels like it. I have tried the option of 1) checking all paragraphs to make sure none of the paragraphs have odd +indents or -indents and 2) making sure tools-options-printAllow A/4 is selected. None of these options seem to correct the situation. We have had this problem until we upgraded to Word 2002. If this would happen on a consistent basis--we might be able to find a concrete answer.

Thanks

Don't know whether or not your problem is solved, but MS has two very good Knowledge Base articles re. printing problems. You might want to have a look at Article 321611 and Article 290932 and see if you can eliminate or isolate what is causing this problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

See if you still have the problem with the A4 option off. Also, take a look at Tools/Options/Compatibility & scroll for "Use printer metrics to lay out document". Change that option. I only have one printer, so I keep forgetting which setting on the option does what.

Microsoft describes it as:
    "If this option is selected, Word uses the information from the printer driver that is installed as in some earlier versions of Word. If this option is disabled (default), Word use build-in metrics to lay out the document. This means your document looks the same no matter what printer driver is installed."

But I keep forgetting which way makes some documents print differently than Print preview.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John.

It will take us awhile to go through all the information in those MS KBA documents. Hopefully we will find an answer.

We have tried deleting the printer and re-attaching the network printer. This will let us print the document by the next time we try to print or preview, the bottom of the pages are missing again.

We will probably try renaming the Normal, as our next line of attach.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you attach one of the problem documents to a post here (after first removing any sensitive material)? Maybe there's something about the document that one of us could see.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, we still have the problem after unchecking A4 option.

The "Use printer metrics to lay out document" option is unchecked by default on our machines. We will see if checking this option does anything for us.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've attached a test document. On my system everything works as it should. The administrative assistant is having problems with this document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

When you say the assistant has problems, I'm assuming that you mean the bottom of the page was cut off. I was able to print this document in Word 2000 with no problems, but I have only one printer. Do both of you print from the same printer & do you have the same printer drivers?

Try UNchecking the compatibility option "Use printer metrics to lay out document" & see if there is any difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast