Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table Design for Sports League (2000)

I am struggling with table design for a Tennis league. I have Tables for "Division", "Player" and "Teams" and a junction Table to link Teams_Players (a player can play for more than one team). In the league, each match played, consists of 4 games by different players. How should I CAPTURE the results. I have a table for "Matches" which looks up the two teams from the "Teams" table and I have a "Games" table which contains the Primary keys for "Match" & "Players". The problem I have is how to best capture data : - Eg. If I enter a win result in the "Games" table against an individual player, how can I capture the loss against the opponant, and the overall result for the match. Any help appreciated - Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Design for Sports League (2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

There is no need to store the result of a game twice, since the victory of one player automatically is the loss of the other. You would use a result field, which could be 1 if the "first" player won, and 2 if the "second" player won. You can use queries to tally the results in various ways (by player, by team, by match.) You can also use queries to calculate the overall result of a match.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Design for Sports League (2000)

Thanks Hans. I realise that one entry is the best way to go but unfortunately I am still struggling through the logic of the table design at the moment. I need to reference the two players back to the tbl Players so I'll keep working through this, and re-post a clearer question if I'm still struggling.

Thanks for your help.