Lounger
    Thanks

Slow XP Boot, Slower Performance (XP SP1)

Introduction: Me - I know just enough computer knowledge to be dangerous. Here's the problem: A friend of mine called me to see if I could figure out what was wrong with her computer. It is a Pentium 4 running windows XP. When you first turn it on, the normal memory check etc. is displayed - then instead of the XP logo "popping" up like I'm used to, the screen displays very dimly and gets brighter in increments about 5 seconds apart. Finally this screen appears along with the scrolling bar that indicates XP is loading, although this scrolling bar is VERY VERY slow. After about 3 minutes, XP loads and displays the desktop. I first opened 'My Computer' to see if the C drive was full (my first guess). It took 55 seconds for the 'My Computer' window to open. The C drive had 70 GB of free space. I then looked at the CPU usage, and it was 100% all of the time (although when I looked at the services tab, it said the system idle process was between 70-80).

This computer is about 1 year old (not a name brand), with 512 MB RAM. It was shipped from WIsconson to California last week. WHen it arrived, my friend had a guy install a DSL line/modem to the system. It is running Norton Antivirus and it did not detect any viruses.

What should I check first? Any Suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Slow XP Boot, Slower Performance (XP SP1)

Was it OK before it was shipped?
    If so, I would suspect from your comments the graphics card may have become displaced. Check it and all other items are firmly seated.
    If not, can you boot into safe mode with any success?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow XP Boot, Slower Performance (XP SP1)

If problems ocured after the internet connection was installed, you must consider that possibility of a security breach on that machine.

Couple of things.

Disconnect from the network
    Install some firewall software on the machine.
    Make sure Norton AV has the most up to date virus definitions and run again
    Get a copy of Ad-Aware, and Sybot search and destroy and run each to check for spyware installed on the machine.
    Run Windows Update fro all critical security patches

If you have evidence of a virus infestation or a worm attack, it may be safer just to delete the entire machine and reinstall fresh. It's the only way to be sure you have cleaned all trace of malware.

Remove unused programs
    Do a disk cleanup & defrag
    Update all your drivers

Not necessarily in that order!