2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Matrox G400 Video Card

I bought a secondhand Matrox G400 Video card (AGP x4) the other day and fitted into my son's computer which only has an AGP x2 slot

When I booted up It didn't work, the monitor screen remained black @#$%^

Prior to fitting the Matrox card I had not installed its correct driver, but I had expected that the generic bootup video driver would produce a picture, was I correct with this assumption ?

My question is,

Will AGP x4 cards work (albeit at a slower rate) when fitted into an AGP x2 slot, or are they not backward compatible ??

If they are compatible and work in AGP x2 slots, is there anything that has to be setup in the CMOS so that the AGP x4 card will work during bootup before the correct card driver has been installed ??

Perhaps I've been "sold a pup" and I have to just accept being diddled @#$%^

Awaiting any help

Max Rieper

Thanks

Re: Matrox G400 Video Card

Max,

AGP 4x cards should work OK ( at a 2x rate ) in a 2x slot. I had one in my system before I upgraded.

Depending on the type of BIOS, you MAY have to enable AGP. Best bet is to just go in there and check around for any mention of AGP.

If the screen remains black, after checking the BIOS settings out, I think you may have bought a dud card.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Matrox G400 Video Card

Yes Bob I think your right, I've bought a dud #$%^&*

Anyway when I next visit my son, I'll check the BIOS but from my memory, which ain't too good in my old age, there's nothing related to video settings in there

Thanks for your time in answering and confirming my thoughts

Cheers n Tears
    Max