New Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Icon in System Task Bar (Win XP Pro SP1)

I have a program (3M's Postit Notes) that places its icon in the system taskbar (the one on the lower right of the screen). Periodically this icon disappears. Sometimes when I reboot it will re-appear, other times no. I have re-installed the program, but problem continues. I would like to have the icon appear all the time. Any help on this? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Icon in System Task Bar (Win XP Pro SP1)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Are you sure that the icon really disappears, or might it just be hidden. In the Taskbar Properties, you can set icons that haven't been used for a while to be hidden automatically. The notification area (aka system tray) will display an << button to show that icons have been hidden. If you don't like this, clear the check box (right-click an empty part of the task bar and select Properties to get the dialog.) You can also customize the behavior of individual icons by clicking Customize...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: Thanks for the response. No, the icon is not hidden. It just disappears. I have "hide inactive icons" unchecked so all my icons are displayed. Harold

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Icon in System Task Bar (Win XP Pro SP

And adding to what Hans said, you SHOULD use the Customize button to mark "Always Show" by your choices. Even after doing this however, XP will occasionally get flaky and change one on its own. Doesn't happen very often and I haven't been able to pinpoint a pattern.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Harold,

See if there is something you can use in Top 10 FAQ - click on the question mark to the left of "Why don't my Notification Area icons show or why do they disappear?".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm having a similar problem, but only with specific programs. This is on a new Dell with WinXP fully patched.

1) Yahoo messenger; Runs at startup and often doesn't display the system tray icon. On my other computer, configured exactly the same it's there, and when I minimize Yahoo it stays there and isn't in the taskbar... just as I've set it up. If I minimize on this computer when the tray icon is missing, it just disappears and I have to rerun the program.
    2) PC Mag Util Startup Cop. Runs at startup. The task manager shows it's running but it doesn't display in the system tray and I don't think it's monitoring as it's supposed to. SOMETIMES I can end the process and manually restart it successfully.
    3) PC Mag Util Robotype usually starts with a "Fatal Error, Unable to install system tray icon". I have to then restart it manually. This always works.

I've tried Kelly's notification fixer tool. No luck. This is a NEW build. What could be up? At first I thought I had too much running at startup, but I've removed several programs to no avail.

Bryan