5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Talk to Outlook/ Yahoo (2000)

I want to be able to look through a list of e-mails, perhaps applying a search criteria, and to be able to extract company names and addresses from these and copy them to Excel. The e-mails are originally stored in my Yahoo account, but I can obtain them from Outlook 2000 as well. The e-mails are consistent in that they include the text 'Name:' and then 'Address:' each followed by the details that I need (although a number of additional spaces are also included in the name/address details). Firstly, how can I refer to the e-mails collection in Outlook from within Excel? How can I then look 'into' the e-mails themselves? Thanks in advance, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Talk to Outlook/ Yahoo (2000)

You can control Outlook from Excel in code using Automation. You can then loop through all e-mails in a folder and check their Body property.

<!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile> has a short tutorial on Automation on his website (link in his profile, look for Support > Tutorials.) It contains lots of useful links.

There are also several threads on controlling Outlook through Automation, see for example <post#=140450>post 140450</post#>, <post#=215072>post 215072</post#>, <post#=306030>post 306030</post#>.

You will also find code examples on Helen Feddema's site.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The first post you list looks like what I'll need. I need to adapt it to use my folder and user names. I presume the folder name will be "Inbox" but where in Outlook can I check the correct format for the UserName? That is, will I be "Andrew Gibson" or "Gibson, Andrew" or some other format?
    I have a more complicated issue I would like to resolve. I've moved the e-mails I want to examine to new Yahoo folders. Is it possible to tell Outlook to synchronise these folders as well, or will I have to move all the files I want to check back into my Yahoo Inbox and then re-open Outlook?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the user is the one you are logged in as, you don't need to use the GetSharedDefaultFolder method, you can use GetDefaultFolder instead. No need to specify the user name:

Set objFolder = objNamespace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)

I don't use Yahoo, so somebody else will have to help you with your question about synchronizing with Yahoo folders.