3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hacked system? (OS - XP)

I just finished rebuilding my system last night is OS - XP and MS Office XP. We also reloded the internet and got back online with Road Runner. I decided to take a break and have some dinner before I would finish up and loaded Norton Security software. Yep, you got it... someone back back into our computer and did something, ever time I start the computer and select a profile (mine, wife, son, daughter) it says... "loading profile setting" and it just sits there

Can this be fixed or do I have to start over somehow? What can we do to prevent anyone from hacking or whatever back into our comptuer?

Thanks

Re: Hacked system? (OS - XP)

I'm not sure what's happening when you are trying to start up. Maybe it would help to disconnect the network cable and try Safe Mode (if that's an option).

> What can we do to prevent anyone from hacking or whatever back into our comptuer?

Norton Internet Security includes a firewall, I believe. This should keep people out of your computer, assuming you don't install trojans and spyware or run any viruses...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We are not sure what happened. According to my son, the kid used something like sub6.

I just want to know if Norton or Road Runner etc. will keep people out of our computer? Even Trojans, virues etc.

Thanks

I hate to say it, but it's not that simple. For discussion of why you need to think about multiple layers of security, see <post#=353732>post 353732</post#> and <post#=329337>post 329337</post#>. And sadly, that only scratches the surface...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If someone did hack into your system, then you should start over since you have no idea what the hacker left behind. Even if you fix this problem, there may be other stuff that you don't see.

If you are on a high speed dedicated circuit, then you should think about getting a router with a firewall built into it. They do a pretty efficient job of keeping the hackers out.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I reformated and loaded windows again last night. right now I am looking into installing Norton Virus protection. Is there a different software for Norton that will do a firewall is it within the same box? If we have an idea on who did the hacking, he sent a message to my daughter that he was going to trash our system, then he said "watch your CD Drive"... and it opened and closed several times. Is there anything we can do about this kid?

How would I do a router? I am connected to Road Runner via cable.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I use Norton Internet Security 2004, which combines a firewall and antivirus protection. There's some other nannying stuff I couldn't care about. I had a couple of initial problems, but they've gone away. Fortunately, since the response from their technical support is measured in aeons... (i.e they haven''t replied after several weeks).
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

A router setup is simple and inexpensive. There several DSL/Cable routers available (Linksys is very reliable). Instead of connecting your ethernet directly to the cable modem, connect the ethernet to the router and then the router to the modem. The software and instructions that accompany the router make the whole procedure painless. An added bonus with a router is the capability to network your computers (if you have more than one) and have all of them share the internet connection.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

That sounds like the SubSeven trojan. Evil people bundle it into seemingly innocent downloads,and then they can take over your computer, sometimes even if you have a firewall. However, antivirus software should detect it. Also make sure you have the latest Windows and Internet Explorer patches to reduce the number of ways your system can be infected.

Whether there's anything you can do... well, if you know who he is, reporting him to his ISP would be a good idea. It's also a computer crime, but unless you want to deal with the FBI, it might not be worth going to that extent.

A router might have come with your cable account. Comcast, for example, includes the 2Wire HomePortal. Not sure about RoadRunner. If not, you can pick one up for about $100. Lots of advice on the Networking Your Home board.