New Lounger
    Thanks

Change Default Account (2003)

In Outlook 2003, when printing out an e-mail, the header which prints out in the usual "Memo" style is the "Your Name" listed on the Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts > Change" tab of the "Default" e-mail account. I have one e-mail account set up as my personal account and one as my company account. To print out an e-mail that did not come in on the "Default" e-mail account I have to go up into Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts and "Set as Default" the e-mail account I want to set as the "Default" just for printing that one e-mail!

Without getting into the "why" MS chose to design Outlook to work this way (I wish it would simply print out any e-mail using the information from the account that it came in on, like it now does for replying and forwarding ... but I digress ...)

Is there a way to maybe use a macro -- ideally assigned to a keystroke -- to quickly switch the "Default" e-mail account? (Actually, I guess I would need a macro for each account, so I could "switch back" when done.) But this is where it moves beyond me and my abilities. Would there be a way to record such a macro? I don't see one in Outlook as exists in Word, and I am completely helpless when trying to figure out Visual Basic's terms and procedures, so I sure can't write a macro myself.

I searched throughout this forum and didn't see anything that looked like this issue ...

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Paul

Thanks

Re: Change Default Account (2003)

In earlier versions of Outlook, the accounts were well insulated from the reach of basic VBA, presumably for security reasons. There probably are ways to do this by directly modifying the registry, but it's rather confusing in there when it comes to this sort of information, so I'm not sure there's a direct way to specify a default (or a way to ensure that Outlook recognizes the change after you make it, without restarting the program).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am using Outlook 2003 on Win XP home and Pro. I have up to 4 pop3 accounts on each machine. I can print out any email from any account with out changing the default. Now if I change the default the only difference between the headers is that "User Name" above the bold line. If I have a different entry in the "Your Name" box of each account , then that entry name will be printed of the default account.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that's the way it works. But what I want to do is switch between accounts quickly, by use of a macro if possible, rather than going up to the Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts > Set as Default. One click would be better than five or more.

Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What do you "GAIN" by switching the default account?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Basically I just "gain" a quick way to print out an individual e-mail with the "company" header. My personal account has my name under "User Information: Your Name," which is what prints at the top of EVERYTHING if I'm logged in to that account as the "Default" account. But if I want to print out an e-mail which came in on the company account, the boss wants printed copies of the e-mail printed out not with a big "Paul" at the top but rather "Digital Bug Resources" at the top. (On the company e-mail account, "Digital Bug Resources" is what's listed under the "User Information: Your Name.") And, frankly, I don't want to print out personal stuff with the company listed at the top either!

So just having a quick way to change the "default" e-mail account would do this. When I got a company e-mail that I have to print out, I could hit, say, Alt-D to set the default account to be the company one, print the document, and then hit Alt-P to set the default account back to my personal one. And so on.

I'm just looking for keystroke savings ... now I have to go through the "Tools > E-mail Accounts > Set as Default > Exit" routine each time instead of Alt-D and Alt-P. Is there any way to save these keystrokes WITHOUT creating a macro to change the default e-mail account and assigning it to Alt-whatever?

Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am NOT a programmer so I can not say what will work. Hope some one can come up with a suggestion.