New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2000 and Sourcesafe addin (Access 2000)

I have a large 80 meg+ Access 2000 database with over 1200 objects in it. I installed the Source safe addin yesterday and it seems to be working ok with one catch. On login/startup the system hangs. Once I open the database I get the sourcesafe log in screen, and I log in and then I get the hourglass. This morning it lasted for an hour and 10 minutes! Sourcesafe is installed locally. The DB front end is local also.
    The DB back end (tables only) is on the network but those objects arent in sourcesafe.

My system is an Intel 2.4 with half a gig of Ram and is completely patched XP SP1, and Office.

It seems like sourcesafe is performing some kind of check on the db objects at startup, but because there are so many it is taking forever for it to get through them all.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 and Sourcesafe addin (Access 2000)

Something is definitely wrong. We use Source Safe in our shop with source safe on the server, and we don't see delays anything like that. What happens if you compact the database out of source safe? How long does it take to open then? And what service pack of Office are you running?

One thing you might try is to create a new database out of sourcesafe and see whether that one loads any faster difference.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Thanks for responding.

I have office fully patched. I just double checked MS site.

I am not sure what you mean when you say to "compact the database out of sourcesafe" I do of course know what repair and compact is, but if you could provide detail it would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open Access without opening a database. Select Tools-->Database Utilities. Select Compact and Repair Database and choose the source safe version of your mdb. Compact it to some other name and when you see the message "Would you like to remove the compacted database from Source Code control?", click Yes. Now open the newly created copy and see how it behaves. It will be an out of source safe copy of your database.

How did you create the source safe version of the database in the first place?
    Charlotte