New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing (Windows xp 2002 sp1)

Hi
    I have been living with this problem for sometime now. I sometimes have a requirement to print many documents at once, the method I have used in the past was to select the documents, right click and choose print. But all that happens is I get a message box appear asking me for a location to move the files. I don't want to move the files just print them. If i select cancel then nothing happens, if I select a destination the files are moved and still not printed. This happens whatever the default printer is set to. Does / has anyone else experienced this problem and if so did you find a solution, I have tried the windows site but cannot seem to find anything there. Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing (Windows xp 2002 sp1)

Does this happen for all kinds of files, or just for one type, e.g. Word documents?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for quick response, seems to be for all files, I have just tried it with two pdf files and got the same "move to" box / question it also happens if I try to open the files.

Regards David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm, normally, each file type (extension such as .doc, .xls, .pdf) has its own definition of what Print in the right-click menu does. I have attached a screenshot of what I see when I select Tools | Folder Options... in Windows Explorer, and select PDF in the File Types tab. It seems something is overriding this individual behavior on your system. Have you recently installed a utility that might cause this?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Mine seems to be the same as yours, yes I have installed a lot of software. Presumably you can print multiple files then by say just selecting two word documents, right clicking and selecting print. I only ask because when I have a folder open and select a word file, there is an icon on the left of the folder for printing, but as soon as I select two files the icon dissappears? Sorry had to add my screen shot as a zip file as was reported as being too big for some reason

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you have the same setting as I have, there must be something that overrules them. If you don't have an idea which utility could cause this, you'll have to experiment with turning off or disabling utilities that load automatically, to see if you can find the culprit.
    By the way, in a "My Computer" window, the print option also disappears from the left hand pane if I select more than one file, but I can still print them from the right-click menu.

There is a limit of 100 KB for attachments. Your screen shot is an uncompressed bit map of 1407 KB, so it is refused. I usually convert screenshots to .png or .jpg format in a graphics program such as Paint, MS Photo Editor or IrfanView. In this case, .jpg is better than .png, but it depends on the image.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Thank you very much for your help and the information, I will start to experiment, but have just noticed that I can't open or print multiple files on my laptop either. (But i don't get the move to box) Not sure if that will help me as I have very similiar software on both. Although as you say I can start disabling the items that start with windows. Thank you once again
    Regards David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck! You should be able to restore the print option eventually (just to make sure, I tested if it still works on my system - it does).