Thread: Lost t/t fonts

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost t/t fonts

I had to reinstall my printer and during this process an error message occurred saying that True Type fonts would not be installed. Now, some text appears blotchy on screen, particularly in Internet Explorer. How can I re-stablish these fonts? Andy.

Thanks

Re: Lost t/t fonts

I've never come across fonts being installed during a printer installation.
    1] What make/model of printer?
    2] Why did you need to re-install?
    3] How many fonts do you have in total?
    4] In IE: Tools > Internet Options > General > Fonts... what is your default Web page Font?

I would be more suspicious of your video driver - can you check you have the latest version?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had to re-install my Sharp JX-9210 printer because it wasn't recogised. There was an option for True-Type fonts but this was greyed out. I've since removed it (the printer) and re-installed it, to no effect. I also chose, in Windows Explorer to view as Web Page. I have removed this since, but again it has no effect. The IE font option default is Times New Roman.

The problem sometimes corrects itself if I increase and then reduce the font size. The blotchy text also appears in, for example, MS Excel with an Arial font. I appreciate the point about the display driver, but I haven't touched this at all.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I still can't resolve this issue of blotchy fonts appearing in all of my applications. I have the Windows 98 CD. How can I re-install tt fonts from this?

How can I check my display driver? ..and get the latest version? Andy.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no simple way to reinstall TrueType fonts. Try running the System File Checker, which you can invoke by clicking Start - Run and entering SFC. Press enter. When the system file checker runs, make sure that you check the both boxes at the bottom of the dialog. You will encounter several changed files, it is up to you whether you want to step through them one at a time or "update information for all changed files." If you are prompted to replace a file, direct the utility to the CD and make sure you create a backup of the existing file.

Another option would be to re-run Windows 98 setup from the CD and perform what is known as an "in-place upgrade." This will check your system files and update any that are corrupt or missing. You will not need to reapply any patches or updates after completing this. Although this process takes some time, it is likely that it will resolve your problem.

To check your display driver, hold down the Windows key and press Pause/Break. This will open the Device Manager, and from there you can expand the entry for Display Adapters. Find out what display adapter your computer has installed and then head to the vendor's website for driver updates. Likely you will have a Nvidia or ATI adapter in your system. Although this is less likely than corrupted system files, it is still a good idea to install the latest drivers for your display adapter, as it usually lends stability and increases performance.

HTH,
    -Mark