Star Lounger
    Thanks

Displying .dwg files (2002)

Hi,

I have a colleague who is wanting to display a CAD drawing (a .dwg file) in a PowerPoint 2002 presentation. We have tried using Insert, Object without success and have looked on the web for an appropriate file converter without much success.

Any ideas for the best way of getting the file into the presentation?

Thanks, Laurie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Displying .dwg files (2002)

If possible, export the file from the CAD program in .WMF format. You can import a .WMF file into PowerPoint.

Also see PowerPoint And Volo View

A converter: DTP Express (the English is somewhat strange)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this.

Well, I sort of get the idea. I need to download a player for .dwg files and then I can insert a control from the Control Box toolbar to display the file.

But the viewer you sent me the link for doesn't do this (it's for some other format). I tried a couple of others from the web without success, as I got a message saying I was not able to embed the file. Anybody know a viewer that would? And what happens if you transfer the presentation to a different computer. Would it still work then?

Thanks again, Laurie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use a .DWG viewer, you would have to install that viewer on each PC where you want to run the presentation.

It is probably better to convert the .DWG file to a format that is "native" to PowerPoint, such as .WMF or .JPG. This can be done from the CAD application used to create the .DWG file, or using a separate converter, such as DTPExpress (there may be more)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

But, if I was just using my own laptop to present from, this wouldn't be a problem, is that right? As long as I could find an appropriate viewer to work with.

Laurie

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

depending on what you really need to do, a screen capture capability might suffice. This allows you to save the captured image (of the CAD screen in this case) usually in any number of formats that can then be brought into powerpoint. I use a program called Snag It but Windows has a builtin capability using the PrtScrn key that might suffice.

Fred