3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing stereo channel

All,

I occasionally listen to web-based radio while at work and it seems as though I am only hearing one channel of a stereo broadcast. I am trying to tell where the problem lies. Both speakers work. I can slide the balance "slider" in the Sounds and Multimedia applet and shift the output from one to the other. It doesn't sound like I move from one channel to the other though. When the radio station is playing something that is clearly stereo, I get one channel but the other one is very muted and in the background.

Any thoughts on what I can do for more troubleshooting? The system is a Dell Latitude D600 running Win2K with a SigmaTel C-Major Audio card.

Douglas

Douglas

Thanks

Re: Missing stereo channel

When you alter the 'balance' to one side or the other, the volume in the other speaker definitely drops to zero?
    If not, it sounds as if the connector into the 'stereo out' socket is not firmly home.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Or is it possible that the cable is not a stereo cable? Sorry to admit I can't remember how you tell - something about the ring(s) around the pin. Maybe someone will jump in with a clarification.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All,

The sound definitely drops to zero on one speaker when I slide the balance indicator all the way to one side. The cable is the one that came with the speakers and is pushed all the way into the jack on the docking station. HTH.

Douglas

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What happens when you try to play a stereo CD? HTH
    Gre

Thanks

Al,
    A stereo plug has three separate "rings" insulated from one another. Right, Left & Common or ground connections.
    Mono plugs have only two, audio & common.
    Stereo cables of course have three wires and a shield but sometimes the shield wire is also the common lead.
    Two wires for the mono.

A not too uncommon problem is that sometimes the insulator between the "rings" breaks and there you have a short circuit.
    A partial break can give you a "high resistance" short which will give you muted audio but usually on BOTH channels.
    Cables are cheap and a quick substitution is a good test.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!