5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bizzare bold behavior (XP)

Would someone please open the attached file, select the first word in the body text, and either Ctrl B or click on the bold button? When I do that, EVERY TIME, it changes the formatting of my header. If I do it twice, it reformats the header AGAIN!!!!!!

Thanks

Aunt Linda
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bizzare bold behavior (XP)

Hi Linda:
    Go to Format/Styles.../select the normal style/click Modify & UNcheck Automatically update. You might check other styles for this also. This feature will transform any direct formatting that you attempt to apply & update the style with the change. Since most styles are based on normal (by default), the change ripples through your document. That setting should remain UNchecked for all styles, unless you temporarily have it set for the purpose of experimenting with modifying your styles.
    Cheers,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Anything I can do for you, just let me know! I'd love to know how that happened - I got this file from a person I don't know and don't work with - did this setting come with the document?

Again - THANKS!

Aunt Linda

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Linda:
    The most likely scenario for most styles is that:
    1. The user applies manual formatting.
    2. The user clicks in the style box on the Formatting toolbar & clicks enter. A dialog box opens asking whether to reapply the style or to update the style to reflect recent changes. There is also a checkbox to "automatically update the style from now on".
    3. The user checks that box, which is the same as going to Format/Style/Modify & checking "automatically update".

However, the above steps don't work with the normal style. Obviously, someone at MS realized it would be too easy to modify the normal style accidentally. So, I don't know how this happened accidentally.
    Cheers,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. I don't use Word very much - mostly Excel and CAD stuff - NEVER used styles B4. Since I have to delete all the formatting from these documents I get from this source and reformat them my way, I have no clue how they did it either.

Bottom line - you made my day!

Thanks again

Linda