Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error on Conversion (Access 2000 SR 1)

I have a requirement to convert an Access 2000 database to Access 97.

When I click on Tools > Database Utilities > Convert Database > To Previous Access Version, I get an error message: "You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant Data type."

DID NOT!!

Any idea what this error message means, and how I convert this database?

thanks, and regards,

Don Brownlee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error on Conversion (Access 2000 SR 1)

Can you give us a hint as to where it blows up? The most common problem is with switchboards built in 2000, because the code the 2000 wizard uses doesn't translate to 97, although the Switchboard Items table converts just fine. The trick around that is to remove the code module from the switchboard form and do the conversion. Then in the 97 version (assuming you *have* 97), temporarily rename Switchboard Items and the switchboard form, then start the Switchboard manager. It won't find a table with the correct name, so it will build you a new switchboard. Then just copy the code from that to your cusomized switchboard form, delete the new Switchboard Items table and the new Switchboard form and rename the converted table and form. That should give you a working switchboard that looks just like your 2000 version.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, it blows up when I attempt to run the conversion. The error message occurs/is displayed at the end -- or what should be the end -- of the conversion process.

I'm not using any switchboard, just a couple of tables, a handful of queries, and slew of reports. I thought it was all pretty straightforward. The only thing the least bit sophisticated is that some of the queries include parameters, and ask you to input the selection criteria (i.e. "Enter Week Ending Date"). Some of the reports are based on these queries, and therefore the report asks for the selection criteria.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Office 97 any longer.

Appreciate the help,

Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If your DB is not too big why don't you post a zipped version for all to see.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So you don't get a converted database at all? Or do you get one with conversion errors? Have you checked to make sure the database compiles in 2000, and have you removed any references that won't work in 97?
    Charlotte