2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conceal email address? (2002)

I know how to specify the "reply to" email address in Outlook, by going to Options, etc. But from time to time I want to send an email to someone and I want to conceal from them the email address of the account from which I am sending the email. (The address that appears in the "from" field when you receive an email.) For example, if I email a car dealer asking for a quote, I'd normally give them a disposable emal address to reply to, so that I won't get spammed forever, but my original email to them normally will show the email address of my non-disposable account in the "from" field. I'd like the "from" field either to contain only my name, or my name and my "reply to" address rather than the address of the account from which I'm sending the email. Is there a way to do this?????

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conceal email address? (2002)

Try changing your Default Email Address - under the Tools Menu - just for the purpose of that particular email. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! Actually, I just discovered a little button on the Outlook send screen that allows you to select the account from which a specific email will be sent. Don't know how I missed that. But that's led to another problem:

I went ahead and created a second account, that's identical to my default (i.e., it sends and receives mail through the same pop and smtp server as the default account), but is set to display my name and *disposable* email address on the "from" line. And that seems to work just fine, EXCEPT:

Now that this second account is set up, whenever Outlook goes to check my email, a dialog box pops up asking me to "Enter network password." The correct password already is filled in, so all I have to do is hit "OK," but this box NEVER came up before. If I delete the new, disposable aco######, the box stops appearing. There's got to be a way to prevent this from happening, but I don't know what it is. (I've tried checking the "remember password" box, to no avail.

Note that this problem seems to occur because I've set up two accounts that use the same pop/smtp server. If I set up a second account that accesses email differently (e.g., through another ISP I have), the "enter network password" box does not pop up.

Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Having identical POP and SMTP addresses shouldn't be an issue. Try deleting the account and resinstating it with the Remember Password box checked in the account setup details. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried that. Deleted. Re-added. Exited Outlook,. Rebooted. Tried everything I can think of. Whenever this second account is installed, I get the enter network password dialog. (Oddly, it *appears* to be a Windows dialog, not an Outlook one, but I couldn't say why i think that.) All I need to do is remove the second email account and, poof, no more popup.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What Operating System are you using?
    Gre

Thanks

Do you just want to not check for mail on that second account? In Outlook 2002, the checking of accounts is controlled by "Send and Receive groups." The path through the dialogs is rather tortured, so if I could, I'll just have you start here:

Tools > Send/Receive Settings > Define Send/Receive Groups...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, the weird "enter network password" popup seems to pop up when Outlook tries to access my *default* account. It's just that the existence of the second account seems to be what triggers the pop up. Delete the second account, and I don't get the pop up.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Prof. I'm stumped. I must just be doing something moronic with my setup somewhere, but I can't figure out what it is.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Total shot in the dark: have you signed up for Microsoft Passport?
    Gre