3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brain Teaser (XP Pro)

Edited by SturatR to make links active, see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

I have been working at a very frustrating resource drain problem for weeks. (see posts <post#=351999>post 351999</post#> & <post#=327045>post 327045</post#>. I would make these hot links if I could figure out how, sorry). One of the symptoms of the problem is that right before I get an "insufficient resources" error, many times I noticed that I have lost access to my network connection, my printers, or my modem. I wondered what would happen if I looked more closely at these as more directly related to the cause rather than just a result of the problem. So I disabled, via Device Manager, the modem, the network adapter, and the PCMCIA adapter (and wireless network card) (I have both a built in network adapter and a wireless card). I let the laptop run over night and low and behold no resource problems the next morning.

Then I re-enabled the modem and the wireless network card. Ran for 2.5 hours and boom, insufficient resources. I disabled the wireless network card, leaving the modem enabled, and the laptop ran for 12 hours without a resource problem.

Now this might sound like the wireless network card is the problem. But, I had this resource problem before I ever purchased the wireless card. The only thing that happened when I installed the wireless card is that it changed how fast I would encounter the insufficient resources error. Before the card it took >6 hours of running, with the wireless card in it only takes 2.5 hours.

Anyone have any ideas to further isolate the problem here?? Good brain teaser, huh????

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Brain Teaser (XP Pro)

I can't help with your resource problem, but I can tell you how to make a hot link in the lounge...

If you want to link to Post 351999 then you use the syntax <!t>[Post#=351999]<!/t> which will appear as <post#=351999>post 351999</post#>
    You can get information about other markup options in <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>, or by clicking <font color=red>HELP</font color=red> at the top right of this window.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the post help. I wish the resource problem solution was as easy.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I enabled the standard network connection (left the wireless disabled) and let the laptop run overnight. In the morning I found the same insufficient resources error.

So I don't get the error if I disable BOTH my regular and wireless network adapters and I do get the error if I enable EITHER OR BOTH adapter (the error just appears in less time when the wireless is enabled). That would seem to point to something that these adapters have in common but not the adapters themselves, right?

I do not know what the "insufficient resources" error is specifically referring to. It does not seem to be CPU useage or physical memory. I am not sure if it is paged memory. Whatever it is, it prevents applications from loading, including Task Manager. And it isaccompanied or preceeded by a loss of network connections, modems and printers.

I have a similar problem on one of my two desktop computers - the same symptoms but it can take days of constant running before I encounter it, as opposed to hours on my laptop. I have checked the services in both computers and they are set the same. I can live with rebooting every couple of days but not every 2.5 hours when I have the wirless card installed in my laptop.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

First , make sure that your adapters were installed properly: enable all adapters and open Device Manager (clicking Start | Run, typing DEVMGMT.MSC and hitting Enter). There are suppose to be no yellow exclamation or red X signs. Otherwise reinstall (update) corresponding drivers.

Second, check your events to see what causing the problem. To do so, click Start | Run, type EVENTVWR and hit Enter. Event Viewer window appears. On the left pane, click (highlight) Application folder. On the right pane scroll down the list until you see events marked by yellow exclamation (Warning) or red X (Error) sign. Check the time when the error you are looking for may occur. Double-click each event and read the description. Repeat the procedure for System folder on the left pane. I hope it will give you a clue what's happened.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have any problems showing in Device Manager. And that would agree with the fact that all devices work fine for a period of time.

The last "test" I ran started with a reboot at 11:30 PM Mar 19 and when I checked the laptop at 7:30 AM Mar 20 it was giving insufficient recources errors. In Event Viewer, the only thing that happened in that time frame is listed as an Error under System with the description "DCOM got error 'The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it' attempting to start the service BITS with arguments ' in order to run the server {4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097}". User is listed as NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM. Source is DCOM. This is followed by a number of other errors stating "The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty."

If I decipher the Microsoft help info on this, the service involved here is Background Intelligent Transfer Service. On my laptop and desktop, this service is disabled. Something must periodically try to use this service and is unable to turn it on? But would that result in "insufficient resources"?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The answer is no, this is not the cause of the problem. With the wireless network adapter installed, right around 2.5 hours after I rebooted with BITS set to manual I found the same "insufficient resources" error. I again checked Event Viewer. The first systems event that is logged comes 1:50 after reboot as a Warning "system memory is running very low. Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect may not be able to function properly." Four minutes later comes and Error "The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty." Something is draining paged memory resources but what?????

I checked my paged memory settings and it is set to "system managed size", currently allocated 766 MB, space available 12,987 MB.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is yet another piece of information for everyone to ponder. I took my laptop on a trip and did not have it plugged in to any network the entire weekend. It ran for 4 days straight without a hint of a resource problem. I did not diable or change any settings whatsoever on the laptop. I just took it with me and it ran great all weekend. So now this "insufficient resource" problem happens whenever I am connected to a network. It takes around 6 hours to encounter if I am connected via my built in network card and only 2.5 hours if I am connected via my wireless PCMCIA. This is really confusing and frustrating. Can anyone put all of these facts together to solve the puzzle????

Thanks

Are you running a robust firewall? Scanned for spyware? Perhaps when you are connected to a network, you're not the only one using your computer...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This happens whether I am connected to my home office network (with a router firewall) or at a corporate office (with a very robust firewall). It doesn't seem to matter what network I am connected to. The only difference is that if I connect to my home office network via wireless, I encounter the resource problem in half the time as if I connect to that network or any other network via the built in NIC card.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Jim,
    If you do this MS KB search troubleshoot network it will give you lots of articles to attempt to debug the issue.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED. It was not a network problem after all. In case this may help anyone else, my problem was being caused by a non-current version of the program GoBack. After considerable trial and error, I was able to isolate the problem to GoBack (now owned by Symantec and part of the Norton suite). Checking their web site for FAQs, I found an article on GoBack and XP and found that version 3.1 or higher is compatible with XP. I had version 3.0 installed. Apparently the result of this "incompatability" is massive disk access, draining system resouces. When I installed the latest version, 3.21, the symptoms immediately disappeared on all computers. Thanks to all who tried to assist me on this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the solution.

StuartR