Thread: wrong drive

New Lounger
    Thanks

wrong drive

I have just clean installed Win2k pro, twice. Problem is that I have 2 hard disks, drive C (20GB) and Drive D (6 GB). For some reason Win2k keeps storing my system files and program files on drive D. I want them on C as I use D just for data files and it is running out of space. Is there an easy way to change this? Do I need to install again and if so, how do I stop this happening?

Any help really appreciated as this is getting me down. thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: wrong drive

Oh dear, I'm answering my own questions now. Discovered that I have inadvertantly installed 2 lots of windows 2k, one on each drive. Original one on C drive still has all the problems I thought I'd fixed with second installation. Question now is, how do I fix this? Do I need to format my drives and start again (please God no) or can anyone help here?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since you are using the system files that are on the C drive, you should be able to just delete the "WinNT" folder or what ever name it has.

Now when you try and install Win2K, you need to tell the install program where to install it. This is listed in one of the "Options" listed on the setup page. You will need to tell it that you want it on the C drive and that you want to do a clean install. If you do not, it will attempt to install it in a different folder.

I am trying to remember these steps, as it has been a long time since I installed Win2K.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, you might consider messing with the boot.ini. You could add a line so that you the second driver is pointed to. I believe that the rdisk is the physical disk and that if you duplicate your line in this file and change your rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) you might be able to run the windows on drive D: At the root of C: attrib * boot.ini. Change the attributes if needed. Make a backup of boot.ini (boot.bk1). Use notepad and duplicate the line. You might well get two choices upon rebooting. Or do you already have two choices?

Then you could use the second drive to clean up the first, though I would not reformat it as the ntldr and stuff is in the root. Once you fix the first copy of W2k on Drive C, you could remove the second. On the other hand have a 2nd copy will allow you to do a disk backup of the first (when clean).

C:>type boot.ini
    [boot loader]
    timeout=9
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)WINNT="Microsof t Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsof t Windows 2000 C Drive" /fastdetect
    C:CMDCONSBOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons