Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

font from TNRoman12pt to Arial 10.5 (W97/WXP)

Hey there

Currently we have all our Word templates & documents set in our style Times New Roman 12pt.
    The powers above would like to change the styles to either Arial 10pt, Arial 10.5pt or Arial 11pt.

the sizes being thrown around are:
    10pt
    10.5pt
    11pt.

Is there an issue with increment sizes? eg when converting a Word document with 10.5 to a PDF or a web page? things like that.
    At the moment one issue I can think of if using 10.5pt or 10pt - the superscript/subscript will be smaller.

In other posts I've read that using font Arial Unicode- this font is a large font therefore increases document sizes.
    I've checked Arial & compared it to Times New Roman size in C:WinNTFonts...but there isnt much difference between the 2 sizes. Arial = 267K & Times New Roman = 316K.
    Whereas Arial UniCode is quite large 23566K in size.

I was wondering what problems or issues there may be when converting the Font style & size. more so the size when using the increments ie .5pt
    any ideas?
    many thanks
    Diana

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: font from TNRoman12pt to Arial 10.5 (W97/WXP)

Hi Diana,

I don't know about HTML issues with 1/2 point increments, but PDF should be fine. If you're wanting to keep the pagination roughly the same, you'll find that 11pt Arial is about the same size as 12pt TNR.

The size of the font files isn't really relevant to a Word document - the actual text within a document isn't coded in any font. Word simply tags different bits of text to indicate which font file should be used to display it. The effect on PDFs may be a bit different if you embed the relevant font information into the PDF. This is sometimes done for greater device independence, and I'm not sure whether the pdf then embeds a copy of the whole font file or just the characters used.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to create link to post - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Hiya

I was reading on Woodys in <post#=163565>post 163565</post#> that a user has in their experience when using the Arial font it increases the document file size.
    Why would using this font increase the file size of a document as opposed to using another font like Times New Roman?

any ideas
    Diana

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Diana,

The only reason I can see for the use of Arial increasing a file's size would be if it was the result of increasing the number of fonts used in a document. In that case, Word needs to store additional font information. Of course, if the user simply substituted Arial for TNR, that could increase the number of pages in a document. That, in turn, might have implications for the file size.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

Using the Arial font shouldn't make the file bigger (even the name Arial is shorter than Times New Roman). Maybe the font was being embedded in that case?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

hey jscher

when you mentioned the 'font is embedded'...how can I determine if a font is embedded? on the pc or in our printers?

Diana

Thanks

Check out Tools>Options...>Save tab and see if there are any font-related embedding options selected.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

cheers jscher - diana :-)