Replication? (Office XP - Access 2002)

I have made reasonable progress creating a Horological (timekeeping) book database. More than 5000 documents are currently in the database and all of the data query tools work well. I would like to share the data entry workload with several other people. Replication seems to be one way to deal with several people working independently on the database and then reconsiling all of the changes. Office XP Pro (2002) does not appear to include "repliction manager". Office Developer XP does seem to include the replication manager but also includes many of the applications I already own and costs ~650$. Replication manager seems to be missing from newer versions of Access. Can anyone suggest an appropriate strategy for multiple users to add content to a simple datebase? What has Microsoft replaced "replication manger" with?

Bob H

Super Moderator
    Evergreen, CO, USA

Re: Replication? (Office XP - Access 2002)

Replication Manager was introduced in the Developer Toolkit of Office 95, and has always been sort of an add-on. In Office XP, 2000, and 97 it was available only in the Developer Edition. Note however that you only need one copy to deploy a solution using Replication Manager. And at this point you are correct - to the best of my knowledge it is not yet available for Office 2003, though if you have the version from Office XP it should work with Access 2003 databases. All that aside, you can replicate without using the tool; we've done it using dial-up remote access, though I don't recommend it. And it can actually be done using floppy disks, though that can cause some real headaches. In summary, replication is a feasible method of working collaboratively, but has a number of complications - see our Replication Tutorial and it's links for details.

As to your question about alternatives, it depends on how the users are connected, and what capabilities each user is allowed. If all the users are connected to a LAN or WAN, then a standard shared database (split into a front-end and a back-end) would be effective. If all users have high speed internet access, another alternative would be Windows Terminal Services (or PC Anywhere, etc.). Remote Access as offered in WindowsNT is generally not acceptable from a performance perspective, though it can be made to work. Finally, if users are only allowed to edit the records they create, you could implement a simple form of replication, and have users send periodic updates to their portion of the database using a Date/Timestamp or similar mechanism to select those records that have changed since the last "synch" - you could simply export to a delimited text file or to Excel for example. Hope this helps.