2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CSV keeping format (2002 SP-2)

I've been collecting data form various sources and to keep things simple, I usually try to convert things to CSV to save file size as much as anything else. In the past, it seemed to me that by saving in the CSV format, ALL formatting was lost. Today, I've found that some cells that appear to be formatted to show commas (eg., 1,234,234.123) retain that format. When I then import the data relying on the commas to separate the values, I get errors because the formatting commas are still there. I've overcome it by reformatting the offending data but it still has me puzzled. Is there an Excel setting that I have overlooked?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: CSV keeping format (2002 SP-2)

Hi Joe,

Could be that the offending data was output from whatever source as a text string without surrounding quotes.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the past, it seemed that by using the save as csv option in Excel, the formatting was stripped out. Now, some formatting is lost but things like commas and currency symbols seem to persist. I was wondering whether this was a feature of 2002 or whether there was a setting that could give me the simplest version i.e., strip out all formatting.

Thanks

If not directly available ( I don't use XL2002) a "simple option" would be to make a copy of the sheet, select all the cells (ctrl-a) and then change the format to general and save this file.

I think the other alternative would be to write your own text "exporter via VB so you could explicitly state how you wanted it done.

Steve