Thread: Install Error

New Lounger
    Thanks

Install Error

I get this error msg. when I try to install some programs (even though they are 2k compatible).

16 bit Windows Subsystem
    SYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVirtualDeviceDrivers . VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Then I have a Close or Ignore button. Both do what they advertise to do and so far I haven't seen any ill effects of chooseing ignore, but I am wondering why it comes up in the first place. I'm installing 32 bit applications and they are made for Win 2k.

Thanks.

Cowboy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Error

It doesn't matter if they're 32 bit or not, some programs still use the 16 bit subsystem - installers are notorious for this. And if the application runs properly it doesn't matter but it's still a nuisance.

To kill this, fire up REGEDT32.EXE (Do not use REGEDIT.EXE!!!) and go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVi rtualDeviceDrivers

On the right hand side, delete the value for VDD. The click on Edit, add new value, and insert a value named VDD as type REG_MULTI_SZ. Do not enter anything in the string editor.

That should clear it up. The usual warnings....be careful in the registry yada yada yada.

This is documented in the Microsoft KB article <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q254/9/14.ASP>Q254914</A>.
    -Mark