Helllllp Please - I have added new info about effect of changing ip's and the "Connect As" name.
I have had a hub based ethernet connection between my two win 98 se pc's for years. I just updated one of them to XP Pro (clean install). The 98 can see folders on the XP but not the other way round. They are both in the same workgroup, I have the same username and password (none) on both machines. ping works from 98 to XP using either ip or net name. Both pcs are set to fixed (different!) ip addresses. ping from the XP works if given an ip but "could not find host <name>" if I ping using the net name. Current ip's are and .2. Following an idea on another thread I changed these to ?to on XP and, both masks unaltered at Neither machine could then see the other, even after rebooting 98
(requested) and then XP (not requested) (Zone Alarm disabled). Changing the XP's "Connect as" name in the "Map Network Drive" dialog from <pc name><log on name> to <log on name = same on the 98> had no effect. Leaving this changed I reverted to the original ip's and got back to the 98 sees XP, but not the other way round. Incidentally, the XP under MSoftWindowsNetwork/Workgroup, just no folders or printer.
Zone allarm is set to pass the apropriate range of ip's and is also switched off for local net - I have also tried shutting it down.

If I search the XP's network neighbourhood explorer finds both pcs under the workgroup, but if I try expanding the 98 pc I get "<name> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact Admin ... The network path is not found." And, yes, the drive and printer are still showing as shared on the 98.

When Installing I did do the Wizard thing and put the netsetup floppy in the 98.

My routes print is as follows.

Help please!

================================================== =========================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 b0 d0 b3 5d 28 ...... 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
0xc0004 ...00 53 45 00 00 00 ...... WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric 1 1 20 20 20 50 50 1 20 1 1
Default Gateway:
Persistent Routes: