Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Startup (XP SP1)

Ever since I password protected my System Admin account and enabled the Guest account I have noticed that after logging in as the System Admin the system takes an extremely long time to complete startup. It used to take something less than a minute to go from power up to finishing startup. Now is takes several times that long. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Also, Task Manager lists some 39 processes running after booting up. Is there a list somewhere showing what these processes are and which ones are absolutely required and which are not?

Thanks

Re: Slow Startup (XP SP1)

Don't know about the slow startup Chuck, but as for the processes and services, Black Viper's site has a wealth of information. For those that you can't find here, you can usually find the executable that is listed in Task Manager and make a good guess from the file properties.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have used Black Viper before with W98 and it had a lot of useful info. However, of the 37 processes running on my XP machine, 28 of them are not in Black Viper's list. So I remain very puzzled about most of them. Also, I notice for example, that I have five instances of SVCHOST.EXE running. Three of them are supposedly running under user name SYSTEM. I don't understand how this can be possible, but then the mysteries of XP are way beyond me. I would still like to know if all of the 28 unidentified tasks are actually needed.

Thanks

Try the complete lists at Sysinfo.

It is quite normal to have multiple instances of svchost.exe running - see: 314056 - A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP

Thanks

Check this page on Black Viper for some additional programs which may run but are not really "services". Have a look at the <font color=blue>complete</font color=blue> page. As I mentioned earlier, search for the executable that you can't positively identify and have a look at their properties and who the author is. In most cases, this can give you a good idea of what the program does.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Off-topic, but why enable a guest account? Are you expecting unknown guests to your computer? Typically it's safer to use actual user names and strong passwords.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The only reason I have set up a Guest account is to let me simulate on my home computer the setup at our local Senior Citizens computer training center. I am presently putting together a WXP training course for them. They have six XP computers that they originally setup with a direct login to the System Admin account. I advised them to password protect the System Admin account and enable the Guest account for use by the trainees. That way they can't muck up the computer settings and get into places they shouldn't be.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I found most of the programs listed in Sysinfo, and there was only one or two that I didn't need or want.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Don't use the Guest account, just make a "Student" account and have them log in using it with or with out a password.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chuck,

A program by the name of <font color=blue>WinPatrol</font color=blue> might be helpful to you. It comes in two flavours... free and a one-time fee set-up. It can be found here.

Cheers,

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

What's the difference between a Student account and the Guest account?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I just used the "term" student, you can name it any thing you would like.

As for the difference, it is a new account which you can control and for the "Guest" account all you can do is turn it on or off.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.