3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Compress Excel (Excel 2000)

I have a large Excel spreadsheet that is 4.5 mg that I am sending to a co-worker over the internet. We are using six sheets on the file and every sheet has about 1800 rows involved. Everytime we send and receive the file it seems to grow tremendously even though our changes to the spreadsheet should not cause it to grow so large. Is there a way to compress the Excel file? I like the way Access can be compressed so I did not know if there was a command or a macro that could reduce the size of the spreadsheet. We have gone to zipping the file before sending. I still wanted to compress the file so it is more manageable. Thank you.

Thanks

Re: Compress Excel (Excel 2000)

Excel files seem to collect "baggage" over time. Re-creating the spreadsheet can reduce the size:
    Open a new one and copy the data over to the new one. Export the macros and then import into the new ones.

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I think this is only half the solution. I did as you said and it worked. However, my co-worker has Excel XP and I have Excel 2000. I was able to reduce the size on my side and when I sent it to co-workers with 2000 the size stayed small. However, the minute I sent it to the co-worker (boss) with Excel XP it doubled in size when he made a few changes. He sends it back to me and again the file is huge.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried your suggestion and it did not work. My file is now 6.5 mg and it did not compress to a smaller spreadsheet. I ran the compression twice and no change.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Try Document Press. It might be just what you need...

http://www.7-zip.org/docpress.html

Thanks

Have you done a search on the lounge looking for file size? This is a question that comes up fairly frequently and there are a number of good suggestions out there.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As WebGenii notes, run Search and you'll find there is a lot of discussion in this Forum about file size. Among your searches, use the word "bloat".

One wild idea to think about; have you tried retaining the Excel file in HTML format during the exchange with your co-worker?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It doesn't work for every file, but if you run it through a directory with a bunch of files, it generally will be able to compress a good number of them.

I don't remember if it has better results with Word files than Excel, or not.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Any time Office files are sent back and forth among different vesions of the product, the files get converted to the local version each time, obviating the "benefits" of trying to clean up the file at one end.

Disabling autorecover info should help.

Any clean up techniques would have to be consistentky applied by all parties.
    Also, make sure you use the maximum compression in the zip, or other, compression program before emailing th efile.