5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shift Key Control (2003)

I've created various databases that I get in to edit by using the shift key. I've even disabled this on some, so that only I can get in. Is it possible to create a button or some sort of control, to go into edit mode from within the database. Or is this impossible or not recommended.

Rob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shift Key Control (2003)

I'm not sure what you mean by "edit mode". Do you mean that you bypass the startup options by holding down Shift when opening the database? Or do you mean that the forms present data in read-only mode by default, and that holding down Shift allows you to edit records?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I bypass the start up by pressing the shift key

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you open the database without holding down Shift, it depends on the startup options how much you can "restore".

For example: if you don't display the database window, you can still open it by pressing F11. If you also disable "Use Access Special Keys", you might create a custom keyboard shortcut or a command button to display the database window (you can prompt for a password if you like.)

But if you have disabled full menus, standard toolbars and right-click menus, you'll have to close and reopen the database with the Shift key down to restore them, I think. I don't know of a way to restore them on the fly.