2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

auto fill in Word form fields (xp)

Hi All

When filling out a form, the name that I type in the first field goes in four or five other fields throughout this 3-page form. Can I somehow copy/automatically fill in those other fields with the same name upon typing it in for the first time?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: auto fill in Word form fields (xp)

Yes and no. Word has a field named REF that you can use to duplicate the text covered by a bookmark, and form fields each have a bookmark name. So you can use Insert>Field>REF, give the name of the form field (check its properties), and Word will copy the contents of the form field to the place that you inserted the REF field.

But... REF fields almost certainly will not update themselves automatically when you change the form field. You either need to update the fields manually using any of a variety of methods (such as select all, F9; or print preview if the Update Fields box is checked on the Tools>Options...>Print tab), or with a macro (you can set a macro to run when the user tabs out of or otherwise exits a form field). Doing anything complicated in the protected part of the form can cause headaches, so to learn from those who have hit the bottle (the aspirin bottle) before you, try a search here for related posts.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

A couple of related posts that are worth checking <post#=344334>post 344334</post#> and <post#=335368>post 335368</post#>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both.
    As usual, I've been saved hours of work and frustration!

Have a great day!