2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automating Outlook Web Access (2002)

Not sure if this is the right place for this message; please let me know if I should repost elsewhere....

I'm trying to automate my access to Outlook Web Access, so I can use keystrokes, not mouse, to send, forward, etc. mail. I've tried using third party macro programs that can record and play back mouse movements, but evidently because OWA windows open in slightly different places each time, the recordings ultimately break. And, besides, it's really kludgy.

I've noticed that each button on the OWA screen is associated with a Javascript function. E.g., the "Compose new maill" button evidently runs a function "java scriptarent.composeNew(0)" So, I seems that if I knew how to manually trigger that Javascript, I could assoicate that trigger with a hotkey, and voila, no need for the mouse!

Can anyone help, or point me to a more appropriate place to seek help? I know that the best solution would be to convince my employer to give me VPN access so I could use Outlook directly, rather than OWA, but that doesn't seem possible.

Thanks

Re: Automating Outlook Web Access (2002)

There is just a touch of security built into IE's scripting model that tries to prevent window #1 from playing with window #2

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. The actual Java automation DOES sound too complicated for me. But the tab/space thing may work. I'm sure I should know the answer to this, but:

Right now, the control that's active as I tab repeatedly is indicated only by a very very very faint dotted line around it. Any way to have it automtically highlighted in, e.g., red or blue, so I can easily tell where I've tabbed to?????

Thanks

Unlike a recent thread in PowerPoint about the highlight in the slide sorter, I think this is not a Windows display setting, but instead an IE setting. But I could be wrong. If you look up that thread, there's an illustration of where the "selected item" setting is.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I gave up trying to figure it out in MSIE, but it was a snap in Mozalla Firefox (setting for browser.display.focus_background_color). All the tabbing is still a problem, but unless there's some macro program that already will just send the command to run a specified javascript function, it'll have to do. Thanks for the help.