New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update (XP Pro)

Having just purchased a new computer, is there any summary of which Windows and Office updates to accept? I've read over the years in Woody's columns that some updates should not be installed. When I first go to Windows Update there are loads of updates. Which ones should I install?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Update (XP Pro)

There was a seriously flawed Windows update about a year ago, and a slightly flawed Internet Explorer update some four months ago, but both have been corrected since. I don't think there are any problematic updates at the moment. The only thing is that not all updates will be really necessary for your specific setup, but it's too much bother to go and read the technical details for each and every update IMHO. So I would just install them all.

Thanks

Discussed in this thread in which - to my mind - Joe made the most valid argument in <post#=317142>post 317142</post#>.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Agreed. Woody recently recommended against installing Office XP's latest service pack (3) but that is for another forum....to boot, I have installed Office XP SP3 at home and had no problems thus far. Outside of the norm, that is!
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I moved to Office 2003 when it first came out several months ago and have always applied the updates as released, without any hitches.

Yesterday when I checked the site for any current updates it identified the ones just announced and insisted that I also needed the Office XP SP3 update. Albeit that I am running Office 2003 it seems that my version of FrontPage 2002 is what set off the trigger. So, I had to download the whole 17MB of SP3 to just get the needed updates for FP 2002. Luckily I have an ADSL connection!!!

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, all. I'll give it a shot and hope I can still get email attachments, etc.