3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Quick Launch Deployment (XP Pro)

Hi - we are about to undertake a deployment of Win XP & Office 2003 across 1200 desktops, we have asked that the Quicklaunch bar be on by default but the tech tells us this is not possible - doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone provide advice or point me to any articles. Strangely on the MS site it says that the quicklaunch being on is the default for XP Pro, whereas it is off in XP Home. But our tech thinks we are asking the impossible.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Quick Launch Deployment (XP Pro)

I have found that both Home and Pro, the "Quick Launch" is OFF for any new account that is made. So not only will these need to be turned ON of each machine, but also for each account that is made locally. You will find also that the Task Bar is LOCKED by default on both Pro and Home for each account.

Do you have a link to the MS site that states "being on is the default for XP Pro, whereas it is off in XP Home"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave - the link is user interface features .

What would be the easiest way of turning it on for all - a script after install perhaps or can it be part of the deployment options. I know I have been involved in deployments before where quicklaunch was on but am not sure how it was delivered

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Karen,
    What deployment method are you using? If it is an image you are replicating set up the image anyway you want. Otherwise, you should be able to set a policy I'd think.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

I don't think they are doing it via an image or you are right it would be easy. The tech tells me he can't find how to do it via policy. I am actually on the training team - our job has been to determine the user requirements and tell the tech what they want delivered. I didn't think that this was such a difficult thing to do.

Cheers

Karen

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since you are "our job has been to determine the user requirements ".
    Why not document the method on how to turn on the "Quick Launch" and most other items that one MAY want set and let the user do it. Having worked in the "Canned" world where the "Experts" know how we should have the company machines set up, and then the users have to change things to way they work. We found that if the machines were set up with minium changes to the defaults, the users would or could learn how to set it up the way they wanted it.

Keep the User requirements to a very short list.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave - that is our preferred way of dealing with things, most of the default settings will remain, however the user requirements group saw benefits to having quick launch on by default and users could change it if they wanted to. One click access to their most common programs is important to them as their "All programs list" is extensive. Seemed like a small thing to ask the deployment team for but if they can't deliver it we will just deal with it in training.

Administrator
    Thanks

Karen,
    Check this out: Taskbarplus!. It is very inexpensive & would appear to do what you wish.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 25-Mar-04 12:23. To fix url code)</P>Hi again Karen,
    You may want to pass along this link http://www.broomeman.com/support/xp.html to your tech person/people or keep it in you rbag of tricks. It is a page of many very useful links for XP.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you also going to add ALL of the used prhrams to the "Quick Launch" for the users?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all for your replies - Dave we have identified the six or so programs used by the vast majority of users in the organisation. The plan was that they would be added to the quick launch on deployment - individual users would then be able to either add others that they use to the quick launch, pinned items or wherever they want.