3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Organization chart (Word 2002)

Is it possible to create your own AutoLayout for future org charts?

If not, is it possible to create a style that contains the custom layout?

Or, can you use a macro (which I know next to nothing about) to customize the layout of the chart?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Organization chart (Word 2002)

If your layout is always basically the same, have you tried setting the basic chart up as an autotext entry? I think that might work.

Or if you have, say, 3 different basic layouts that you use, you could set each of them up as a different autotext entry...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Sherry.

That just might work for my user. I will need to have him save the document as a template and then create the autotext entries that he needs. Our engineers aren't use to creating templates or using them for that matter, even thou we have over 200 templates. Some engineers like to re-invent the wheel.

I'll try my best to convince him the benefits of templates.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Sherry, but you could create a template for the user or even have the user use normal.dot. If a user creates an autotext entry without deliberately trying to save it somewhere, it'll end up in normal.dot. You (or the user) could also save the autotext entry in a global template (any template that is in the Word Startup folder).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil.

We do have items in our standard Normal.dot and in a global template available for all users. In this particular case the org chart is not something standard for the company to use. This org chart is for use for one particular client at their request. I think we will suggest the template be created with the autotext org chart.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The user with the questions about the org chart is still not happy.

He wants to be able to change the defaults for the org chart. Ideally he would be able to change one of the Auto formats and save it. With his formatting of the org chart, if he adds another person, it defaults to the color and shape of the original org chart that he started with.

I think what he wants to do is find where to chang the "regedit" format for all org charts. I don't want he or anyone else (except our hardware techs) changing windows defaults.

Does anyone know where to change or if you can change the organization chart colors, etc.?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I have Word 2000 & don't have much experience with the Organizational Chart, but the only changes that I know of occur by using the menu options after you go to Insert/Object.../MS Organizational Chart 2. But it lets you change font color & size, background, etc.

Perhaps one of the VBA experts knows how to create a procedure for formatting the chart, but I'm not sure how big a task that would be.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't be sorry, Phil. I don't think using the organization chart is a big deal. The person with the question probably has way too much time on his hands and just wanted to give me a challenge. He also doesn't take "no way" for an answer.

I'll just keep trying to find an answer (other than no way).