5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using dcount with text values (2000sp3)

Hi all,

I've just opened up Excel for the first time in a while and have started right in with a struggle against the Evil DCount.

My database is a list of survey responces (i.e. cell b1, 2, 3, 4 etc = 1 for Male, 2 for Female. That sort of thing). I will need to do a lot of counts of these response to make sense of the survey.

Unfortunately, the data came through to me as text, not numbers. I couldn't get dcount to match "1" and "2" in the criteria. I would always get a 0 returned. When I went in and retyped a numeric 1 or 2 in the databse, I got the right answer.

My question is, what do i have to do to get dcount to properly match text strings, or how can i easily convert large numbers of text strings to their "values".

Thanks for any ideas.

Jim

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using dcount with text values (2000sp3)

Andrew explains an excellent way to bulk convert numbers from text format to valid number format <!post=here,356439>here<!/post>. (Ignore that the question is about numbers with apostrophes, the technique will work for you.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using dcount with text values (2000sp3)

Thanks John,

That worked to convert my text values, that will tide me over for a while until I have to start looking at the text survey answers.

Thanks
    Jim