Lounger
    Thanks

How do I show a file dialog box? (Excel 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

I have created a macro in a "summary" file which asks for a filename, currently using an Inputbox. The filename is then used to paste links into a worksheet. The files represent data which is collected in a separate file each day. The macro accumulates this data in the summary file by being run every day after the daily file is saved. The daily filenames change, of course, so I will always need to ask for it. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with individuals who have trouble finding the file. I would like to present them with a dialog box, but when I use "Application.Dialogs(xlDialogFindFile).Show", Excel opens the file. I don't need the file open, I just want to give the user an easy way to find the file. Any suggestions? I'd like to replace the Inputbox with something easier since I'm trying to make this as fool-proof as possible. I've included the VBA code for reference. It's nothing fancy.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do I show a file dialog box? (Excel 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

Application.GetOpenFileName

is probably what you are looking for. Note that it gets the path and name of the file, but requires a separate command to actually open the file. <!post=Here,353109>Here<!/post> Hans shows how to code it, including cancel handling.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

That did it! Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Thanks, jmr, for annotating your code. This is a great help for newbies and wannabe vba freaks as a learning tool.
    And glad you got your problem solved!