Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Contacts (Outlook 2000)

Hi, Having used Outlook 2000 for long time,have new computer with XP - networked to Old Win 98 PC.Is there any way I can import contacts from Outlook 2000 from Win 98 PC to new Win XP PC -which has Office XP
    installed - or how can one , ah maybe move the .pst file from old to new PC ? Thanks in Advance . Tom E

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving Contacts (Outlook 2000)

If you want to move the entire PST. Move the default new PST out of its folder in the new machine - with Outlook closed. It should be in something like Documents and Settings[username]Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. You will need to have both "Show hidden files and folders" checked and "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked under Start|Settings|Control Panel|Folder Options|View in order to access the file. Put the the old PST into the folder. When Outlook grumbles, point it at the new PST. HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howdee, many thanks for in fo - Now one other question . IF ? i remove this .PST file from old win 98 puter and move to new XP puter - HOW do I reinstall a .pst folder back in OLD computer? reinstall office 2000 maybe - missing files or folders route

Thanks Again Tom in Asheville NC USA

Thanks

Sorry, I think he meant copy the file, not move it.

All contacts are internal to the PST (no other folders involved) unless you put then in a Personal Address Book (PAB file).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK thanks copy it over or - Import it from Win 98 PC to Win XP Outlook

Thanks Tom E

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Tom,

If you only want the "Contacts Folder" export it from the old computer to a named pst file then import it into the new computer's Outlook contact's folder. The other way is better because you get everything you had in your pst file on the old computer but if it were very large this is a good way to start over and only import those files that you really want to keep, like the "Contacts" and maybe the "Calendar."
    H Lewton

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, that sounds like the best solution and I appreciate !! your suggestions and help

Tom E

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hope it works for you.
    H Lewton

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I now have Office Proff 2003 and can not find a file / folder by doing a search on XP computer with pst
    extension ? Have MS folks changed the places in OUTLOOK 2003 ? The PST is easy to find on Outlook 2000 Win 98 PC , but have yet to find where to copy over - all outlook 2000 to OUTLOOK 2003 . Thanks Tom E

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you set Advanced Search Options to search hidden and system files and folders? In a default 2000/XP OS installation the PST is located in:

Cocuments and Settings<username/owner>Application DataMicrosoftOutlook

but it can be anywhere you want it.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found PST file in Outlook 2000 easy JUST CAN'T FIND WHERE IT GOES IN OUTLOOK 2003 PROF EDITION. i CHECKED "show hidden files and folders" and left unchecked " hide extensions for known file types". I had a few addresses and letters in OUTLOOK 2003 , but accidently deleted a folder within Outlook 2003 " un read mail I think it was ? so clicked on "detect and repair " ooops - all contacts I put in manually are gone ?But, I have what I need in this Win 98se Outlook 2000 - which was what I was hoping to copy over into the 2003 Outlook version on other computer which is XP. Doing a search on XP PC , for *.pst ,pst and *.*pst found nothing - so I don't know where to copy over the PST from Outlook 2000 to 2003 ? Orginally I was going to do in it when I had the Office 2002 version BUT lucked up recently and was able to get the Proff 2003 version - so now I am back to my old win 98 pc :-) Thanks for the note Tom E

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think it would be a good idea to copy the Outlook 2000 pst file over your Outlook 2003 pst file. You can copy items from the old file to the new one without knowing where the new one is:
    - Put your Outlook 2000 data file somewhere on your new PC.
    - In Outlook 2003, select File | Open | Outlook Data File...
    - Locate and select the Outlook 2000 data file.
    - You can now copy items (make sure you view the Folder List).
    - When done, right-click the file you opened in the Folder List, and select Close ... from the popup menu.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John, thanks for note, I had to take both PC's to guru this AM as for some reason - could not connect to win 98 PC , after they set it up for me sometime back. He knew how to move .pst out of 98 pc and put it in XP
    PC - I could not keep up with the steps he did BUT it worked ? I asked him how ya do that? AH Chinese Secret he says , won't let out all his secrets- so did not get to follow thru with your words of Wisdom - the .pst was Hidden , but I know now how to UN hide files . tom e

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It's easy to move once you find it, and you attach it to Outlook via File | Data File Management (oops, that's in XP and 2003, but it can stil be done in 2000). However, it won't be a unicode format PST unless you follow the folder importation steps HansV laid out in this thread.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just found that I have two PERSONAL Folders, after he moved .pst from win 98 pc to this XP with Outlook 2003 Verson Yeeek - not quite used to 2003 Outlook, as I was the 2000 version - have to look and see
    if same e mails etc in this 2nd Personal Folder ? IT looks as though all e mail etc are duplicates in each Personal Folder, so Suppose ?? I can safely delete ?? 2nd " Personal folder " tom e

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast